October 2, 2013
Early Encounters with God (Day 2)
Today is Day Two of 31 Days of Encountering God! If you missed the kick-off, you can go HERE and find the Introduction as well as each days post! (I will be adding every day as the month goes on!)
Early Encounters with God...
Well... here's the thing that I adore about the Lord:
Long before we ever entertain a thought about Him, He has had us on His mind and in His Heart since before the foundations of the world.
Honestly... just take a moment and let that sink in.
This is HUGE.
This can transform oh so many things... oh so many ways you think of Him... and of yourself.
He is really all about you. The Bible says in Psalm 139 "How precious and weighty also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I could count them, they would be more in number than the sand. When I awoke, [could I count to the end] I would still be with You."
Did you catch that? They are not just thoughts about me... about you? They are TO us! He is thinking thoughts TO us... and they are so many, that they outnumber the sands!
You see... for all of your days... He has been desiring to encounter you! He has been ordering your steps and pulling on your heart... He has been wooing you and courting you and encountering you all along!
Maybe some moments... you were made acutely aware! Many other times... He came in and out unnoticed... brushed over... explained away... but rest assured... it was Him!
He is so for you, my friend!
So... my early encounters? They are vast and more than I can recall... and not being raised in a church going home - God was a bit more creative in how He encountered me:
* Supernaturally saving my life from day one... actually - throughout my mothers pregnancy and my early delivery and complete blood transfusion... He sustained me for weeks and weeks before my mother was finally able to hold me, skin to skin... to pull me close and whisper that I was cherished!
* Aunts and Uncle reading Bible stories... tucking me in at bedtime... saying goodnight prayers.
* Easters at church with neighbors.
* Even through hard times... I felt a Presence and a knowing that everything would turn out alright... through health issues, family struggles, abusive neighbors... I knew God was close... even before I knew His Name.
* I remember LOVING Christmas... I know, most kids do... but as much as I loved the gifts... it was the music that got me excited! I can recall singing O Come Let Us Adore Him and Silent Night for hours and hours - He was wooing me all along the way!
* One of my most favorte cassette tapes (yeah - that's right... I said it! CASSETTE TAPE, ya'll!) was one Amy Grant: Collections that mysteriously showed up at my house when I was a teen and that was played over and over and over all summer long - as I belted out the lyrics, not having a CLUE what they meant (yet)!
You see... when we look back over our lives... through the good times and the bad... we can see His handiwork holding us up and guiding us near... for even when we were unaware - He was encountering us the whole time!
In the comments below today, I'd love to hear of an early encounter with God that you have had! Something that happened, either as a child, or a new Christian... even an encounter that you had BEFORE you met Him, that you can see now helped to pave the way to knowing Him. I love to hear how He has wooed us and how consistently He is working to capture our hearts!
Tomorrow I will share a bit more of my personal testimony... how the God of the universe convinced me that He was personally aware of me... how He had been with me all along!
Linking up with The Nester and 100s of other #31Day Bloggers!
I am linking up today with the lovely Jennifer Dukes Lee as well for:
- ► 2016 (120)
- ► 2015 (202)
- ► 2014 (182)
- Five Minute Friday - Grace
- Encountering God in your Traditions... Day 31
- Day 30 - Encountering God in the Quiet
- Encountering God in all the Noise... Day 29
- Encountering Grace in Motion - Day 28
- #31Days of Encountering God ...in Joy
- Encountering God in Brokenness - Day 26
- Together - five minute Friday
- Day 24 - Praying for Allume
- Encountering God in Friendships - Day 23
- Encountering God in Church - Day 22
- Intercessory Prayer - Day 21
- Day 20... A little Worship and Prayer
- That Thing I Do Now - Vol 15
- It's all in the Climb - Day 19
- Encountering God in the piles of Laundry... Five M...
- A Treasure to Behold - Day 17
- World Food Day - #31Days of Encountering God
- Encountering God while finding my Story... - Day 1...
- The Shape of Things to Come... #31Days Day 14
- Psalm 121 Remind me, Lord! (Day 13)
- You Know me... You memorize me - Day 12
- That Thing I Do Now... Vol 14
- Ordinary God Encounters - Day 11 (Five MInute Frid...
- Day 10 - Encountering God in Prayer
- Encounters God in Parenthood - Pt 2
- Encountering God in Parenthood - Day 8
- Encountering God in Marriage - Day 7
- Intro to Listening Prayer - Day 6
- That Thing I Do Now - Vol 13
- Treasure Hunts & Oh How He Loves... - Day 5
- WRITE - Five Minute Friday AND #31Days (Day 4)
- Day 3 - How He peeled back the veil and saved my s...
- Early Encounters with God (Day 2)
- What IS an Encounter with God? (Day 1)
- ▼ October (35)
- ► 2012 (64)
- ► 2008 (16)
- ► 2007 (30)