October 5, 2013

Treasure Hunts & Oh How He Loves... - Day 5


Today is Day Five of 31 Days of Encountering God! If you missed the kick-off, you can go HERE and find the Introduction as well as each days post! (I will be adding every day as the month goes on!)

Do you want an Encounter? 

A few years ago, I came across a book that was SO out of my comfort zone, I had NO CLUE as to why I kept being drawn to it! I saw it while at a conference and left without it.  To be honest - it scared me! I knew if I read the words between those pages, God would require something of me!  But what I didn't realize is that He was already asking it of me in my everyday life... and I was just starting to realize that it didn't have to be so scary!

Now - I know - this is not popular to say or admit... but I am not so evangelical... I mean - I want everyone to be saved, yes - of course!  I love to share His love and His story... but to go out and evangelize... like, with WORDS... oh that scares my introverted self!  Let someone else do that part and then bring 'em to me real quick-like so I can pour in - and I am in my element! I'm sure it is tied to some deep seeded fear of rejection... (it is) and my fear of man (which I am working on!) but still... I break out in inappropriate nervous laughter and cold sweat at just the thought of it!

Still - this little book would just NOT leave me alone! Nearly 2 years later (yeah - I am stubborn, ya'll - have I not mentioned that yet?) my little small group decided to do this book! Several of them were like me - drawn to it, but hesitant. I reasoned that we had a handful of very extroverted bold evangelists in our midst - so we'd be fine... they could take the lead. But this book undid me in how the point was so my heart:  It was not so much about getting people saved - although that is awesome and happens... but it was more about giving someone an Encounter with God - letting them know how crazy in love God is with them... and, well - you know - I am all about that!

I highly recommend The Ultimate Treasure Hunt by Kevin Dedmon... it's all about asking God for a treasure map of sorts, and then going out on Treasure Hunts... looking for people who match up clues on your map! You get to show them your map, and how they are right there on it... and just assure them that God knew where they would be and He knows what they need... we offer prayer and speak blessing... We spent many a weekdays and Saturdays, mapping out areas in our town - hospitals, grocery stores, malls, parks... and we gave people encounters with God... we gave them something to think about - how God knew they would be wearing a Yellow Jacket, standing in the Yogurt aisle and the grocery store at this time on this day and He wanted them to know that He sees them... that He loves them... Every. Single. Time. - they asked for prayer and we got to pray for them right there... to invite Him in... to watch them encounter God!

So - how about you?  Does this stir you up or stir up a little fear?  I have to say - I am still an introvert and I am still scared... but I have seen God show up for people who had no hope left... and meeting a stranger outside of a hospital, seeing themselves in clues written all over a map, hearing that they are Treasured by God... well - it gets me over myself every time!

I had planned on Saturdays being less writing and more worship... but I just felt compelled to share that because really, who doesn't want need an encounter with God?

I would love for you to join me in worship for a few minutes this morning! Let's Encounter Him today!

Crank up your volume... sit back and close your eyes... and let this Truth just thoroughly soak right in!  Even if you know this song and you've heard it before, can I encourage you to relax... give Him your full attention, and invite Him in!  What better way to spend 10 minutes on a Saturday?



I'd love to hear what you experienced while letting this song lead you in to a time of worship!

Father God,
We want to Encounter You today...
we turn our hearts and our attention
to You... we know that You are here...
we can get so caught up in our daily lives, Lord
that it is easy to drown out the truth
of how much You love us!
Remind us of this!
In Jesus' Name,
~Amen~




Linking up with The Nester and 100s of other #31Day Bloggers!





2 comments :

  1. Oh girl, I know right where you're at here. I remember a long (long) time ago when I went out with our church group to do several weekends of street evangelism - there were some people who were so bold and so comfortable just getting out there and sharing and I just had no idea. I didn't know where to start. I only made one connection over that time, with a young woman who was working on the streets, and that connection came over the weekends as I came back and again and we would duck into Denny's for coffee and to talk. I always felt bad that I wasn't out there with the large crowds, but in retrospect, I have to believe that sharing God with that one lost sheep was worth just as much. Also loving the song you have attached here. Yes. I'm leaning back just letting this flow over me this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite certain that He leads and guides you, friend! I am sure you were right where you needed to be! Glad you entered in to worship with me and Kim Walker Smith today! ;) I so love this song! My favorte line? "I don't have time to maintain these regrets when I think about the way ...He loves us..."

      Can I get an Amen? Oh My! Stirs me up Every. Single. Time.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive