August 28, 2013

GROW in His Word - Colossians 3:16


I am linking up with my sweet friend Vanessa over at Hearts on Guard (along with several other amazing bloggers) again this week for GROW in His Word.  The GROW Link Up is simple... we all have the same verse and we GROW (Greet, Read, Observe, & Write)... then we offer up a prayer.  Easy Peasy, right? We'd love to have you join in!


Our Scripture this week is found in Colossians...


"Let the word of Christ
dwell in you richly in all wisdom,
teaching and admonishing one another
in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
singing with grace in your hearts
to the Lord."

                                                     Col 3:16 NKJV

Yes... another very familiar portion of Scripture.  I love to read verses like this in other translations and given my romantic ways... I always fall for the poetic beauty of The Message... let's read it slow together, with a verse before and after... 

"Let the peace of Christ
keep you in tune with each other,
in step with each other.
None of this going off and doing your own thing.
And cultivate thankfulness.
Let the Word of Christ
—the Message—
have the run of the house.
Give it plenty of room in your lives.
Instruct and direct one another
using good common sense.
And sing, sing your hearts out to God!
Let every detail in your lives
—words, actions, whatever—
be done in the name of the Master, Jesus,
thanking God the Father every step of the way."

                                                                        Col 3:15-17 The Message

I know, right? #Swoon!!!

So for me... what stands out the most - is the community of this verse!  It's the 'with each other' and the 'one another' and the giving the Word the run of the house... it's the singing together and the 'every detail' - every action, word, 'whatever'... all gloriously lived out loud TOGETHER!  This is church, my friends! Whether it happens on Saturdays or Sundays - (it should happen on every day!)... it doesn't matter if it is scheduled in a sanctuary, over coffee, or tucking in at bedtime... we are in this together!

We hold each other up-- lift each other up... we keep each other accountable... we laugh and love and live close and real, right on through the good times and the bad. 


I am blessed and honored to have grown up with such friends who are like family and though we have all moved on to different churches and different zip codes... we gather together on a (somewhat) regular basis to catch up - to tune in and cheer on.  We are there to remind each other during those long dark seasons when we honestly begin to forget... We are there to celebrate victories, comfort through loss, bind up and wrap up and pull close... we are there to speak life... to be love... to shine on.  We have 'done church' in church, in parks, on patios at home and at restaurants...  We are iron sharpening iron. We are rejoicing with those who rejoice and weeping with those who weep. We are decreeing and declaring and standing firm and tall on the promises of God.  We are bound... we are family... we are His.

...and every step of the way, we are thanking God the Father!



Father God,
We come to you today
and our hearts cry out for this...
that right here - where we are...
that You would bring us into Community.
That You would  guide us to discover
and sow into this kind of connection.
We pray Lord that the love of God will draw us to friends
and that the peace of Christ will keep us tuned in...
to each other, and to You!
Keep us safe and hold us close...
help us not to retreat or isolate...
or do our own thing.
Instead,  remind us that we are Yours,
first and foremost, and so even if we feel 
disconnected and lonely
we never are.
Not truly.
So when the pull is to feel that these lies are truth...
remind us to follow this verse and to cultivate thankfulness.
To list off the ways that we can trust You...
the times You have come through for us...
Remind us - show us - help us
to let the Word of Christ
'have the run of the house!'
We submit to You... 
every room in our heart belongs to You, Jesus
and we give you the keys.
We hold nothing back.
We give You room to move,
to show up and flow through...
we wait on You expectantly... 
and as we wait, Lord...
we sing out...
we give you praise
and make Your Name famous,
and we let You lead us
where you want us to go,
and all the way there,
we give You thanks,
every step of the way!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen!



Linking up today with Vanessa over at Hearts On Guard
GrowLinkUp 

11 comments :

  1. This is beautiful, lady. I love that translation!! Thank you for sharing your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We have 'done church' in church, in parks, on patios at home and at restaurants... We are iron sharpening iron." Love this! I think so many tend to limit the way God can be worshiped, where He can be worshiped, and who we worship with. But worship is so much more than that...it's about lifestyle...it's about community. I love that you focused on the word community and brought that to our attention in this verse.

    Thanks so much for linking up with us this week and growing with us! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good linking up!!!
    I like, especially:
    "every room in our heart belongs to You, Jesus
    and we give you the keys.
    We hold nothing back.
    Amen!
    Let us say it together
    Yes, All of us belongs to YOU Jesus!!
    Thanks for sharing this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:17 AM

    I love the Message version. I have several different versions I read but I think I am going to have to add the Message. I am also learning to join in with different communities. Growing up I seemed to reject and be rejected by the thought of community but now I realize that we were created for one another to build community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Thank you for the prayer. I, too, enjoy The Message translation!

    Deb Weaver
    thewordweaver.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, Karrilee!!! So excited that you're joining us. Oh this community wouldn't be the same without you and your reflections shared. Community and fellowship are so unbelievably important in this walk with Christ - He never intended for us to do it alone. And what a great lead in to the next few verses we'll be digging into that all focus on community :) Woohoo it's #fmfparty day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, Karrilee... this is great! I love how strangers can still touch on the same thoughts and reflections- great movement of the Holy Spirit, for sure!

    I really loved your prayer, it reflects a lot of what I've been going through these past couple of days (I posted a video about it, if you have the time).

    Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog. I just switched my commenting platform so things are a bit wonky... still trying to work it all out.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa... wow - I just watched your video and girl - that prayer was from Him to you! I love when He does that! Praying for you and so thankful for your breakthrough!

      Delete
  8. Karrilee... this is so beautiful! I love The Message version of this verse. I need to start looking these verses up in that version...(I'm a romantic at heart, too!) I love that you reflected on the community aspect of this verse. It was very convicting for my shy, introverted, timid self!

    I'm so glad you are GROWing with us! I was very blessed by your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well - Kelsey - I trust the Lord will work out what He wants in you through this, but please know - I am shy and introverted as well... community doesn't have to be a large group - but a heart to heart connection! Some of the best things about community unfold in groups of 2 or 3!)

      Delete
  9. Sylvia6:02 PM

    My Dear Friend, this literally brought tears to my eyes as I read your beautiful words. I thank my God for our close heart relationship over the years and the wonderful memories we share together. I thank my God that He opens avenues of communication that brings community together and blesses us with ways to express our creativity. We need to allow Him to take our words and season them with His grace, just like you did here. Thanks for letting me in on this because I needed it. I love you bunches!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive