May 21, 2016

When We Believe, But Do Not Expect... A Five Minute Friday post.

Once again I managed to have a meeting scheduled for Thursday night. This means I was only at the Twitter party for a few minutes, but oh how I love to pop in, even if only for a few!

This is Five Minute Friday (- a five minute timed free write) and our One Word Prompt for the day is: EXPECT

{GO}

If I would stop and just do the math, (...which I will not!) I would tell you that this past week -- it has cost us, my friends!

Things just kept breaking down (or catching on fire) and adding up and I was given ample 'opportunity' to worry and stress!

It was put before me and just when I felt justified to give in, I heard the Lord whisper loud in my ear,
"You CAN choose that route. But that's not the way I would go. You can worry and stress and let fear stroll right in to wreak havoc... OR... Or you can choose the path I would take! It's up to you!"
So, instead of letting the numbers add up quick and drown me in all those worse case scenarios that eat away at our peace, I decided to follow His lead and simply do this:

Choose to Trust.
Easy Peasy, right? 
Except when it's not!

I realized that I believe for a lot of things, but sometimes I forget to follow through with expectation!


Just when I was ready to give in and give up, He whispered soft, "Beloved, don't lose heart!" and I felt faith rising up... and not only that, but a sense of anticipation and expectation... I began to imagine what it could look like if He came through!



As I began to tip toe on the path Jesus would choose and I slowly moved away from the trail marked with worry and doubt, God provided for me, tangibly, miraculously... 

It was not enough to cover the bills coming in, but it was enough to remind me that He is my provider and He can be trusted!

The first miracle was a simple $10.00 found in my wallet. But here's the deal: I checked my wallet before running errands and I counted my cash... twice.  When I went to pay, there among my money, was an extra crisp ten dollar bill. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was not there just minutes before! Immediately after that find, I got a call about an urgent (read: expensive) car repair. 

Ouch... but if God can give me $10 that I don't need... surely He knew about this financial need and He will cover that as well.

The second financial miracle was much the same... I was running errands and picking up a few things just a couple of days later and I went to pay and found, tightly folded and slipped into a strange place in my wallet, a $100.oo dollar bill.


The choice to trust
was just made a little easier. 
Miracles can do that!

I stared at the extra cash with wonder.  I realized that is what it was! 

A Sign and a Wonder and I felt a little like Rhoda and a little like the unbelieving pray-ers when I told my husband... 

You know* how it goes...
You pray and believe for a thing, but you forget to attach a bit of hope and expectation!
"The very night before Herod was to bring him forward, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains, and sentries were in front of the door guarding the prison. Suddenly, an angel of the Lord appeared [beside him] and a light shone in the cell. The angel struck Peter’s side and awakened him, saying, “Get up quickly!” And the chains fell off his hands. The angel said to him, “Prepare yourself and strap on your sandals [to get ready for whatever may happen].” And he did so. Then the angel told him, “Put on your robe and follow me.” And Peter went out following the angel. He did not realize that what was being done by the angel was real, but thought he was seeing a vision. When they had passed the first guard and the second, they came to the iron gate that leads into the city. Of its own accord it swung open for them; and they went out and went along one street, and at once the angel left him. When Peter came to his senses, he said, “Now I know for certain that the Lord has sent His angel and has rescued me from the hand of Herod and from all that the Jewish people were expecting [to do to me].” When he realized what had happened, he went to the house of Mary the mother of John, who was also called Mark, where many [believers] were gathered together and were praying continually [and had been praying all night]. When he knocked at the door of the gateway, a servant-girl named Rhoda came to answer. Recognizing Peter’s voice, in her joy she failed to open the gate, but ran in and announced that Peter was standing in front of the gateway. They said to her, “You are out of your mind!” But she kept insisting that it was so. They kept saying, “It is his angel!” But [meanwhile] Peter continued knocking; and when they opened the door and saw him, they were completely amazed."
                                                                                                       ~ Acts 12:6-16 Amplified

Yeah.  I believe in prayer and I pray with faith. I can easily attach hope and expectation when I pray for you and your things... but sometimes I forget when I am praying for me and my things!

I want to be like Rhoda... she didn't even SEE Peter yet, but she heard his voice and believed! In her excitement, she forgot to even let him in but ran to tell of how God had answered their prayers! I want to be like Rhoda... but often times I am more like those locked in the house, praying and praying... and yet not expecting!

Lord, I choose to trust. 
Make me like Rhoda... 
Help me to believe AND expect!

 {STOP} 

I know I went a bit over here, but you guys, I feel like this is so important and this is such a picture of why we need each other! 

I don't know about you - but for me, it really is easier to believe and expect for Him to come through for you! I can quote the verses and declare the truth over your circumstances and encourage you to hope in God... that is easy for me. But believing and hoping in the midst of my own storms or battles... well, it's easy to grow weary, right?

We need each other... for even when we believe,
--it's the follow through of expectation and anticipation that so often ushers in the answer... the open door, the favor of the Lord that makes way for His provision!

And one thing that He has taught me this week is this:
He will provide.  


Whatever you need... you can trust Him! 



Choose His way... it's so much better,
and the views are spectacular!



* This was the end of my Five Minutes... Grace, please! I just had to finish my thought!

Linking up with Kate Motaung and the #fmfparty Community today.  Five Minute Fridays gives us the chance to dive right in and share what He puts on our hearts! Click HERE to read what others have to say about: "EXPECT"

The FMF lowdown: The gathering happens on Twitter on Thursday nights & then we write our hearts out & hit publish all over the interwebs on Thursday & Friday (& sometimes on Tuesdays!) It's where we encourage & uplift... where we share prayer requests & praise reports... where we talk food & friends & we find support & kindred hearts. It's where we are reminded that life is good & God is good & we're not alone... & then we all write for five minutes flat, a flash mob of wordsmiths letting our hearts & our fingers do the talking tapping & we hit publish before we can second guess it all away. We'd love to have you join us!

16 comments :

  1. God always provides. But I so easily can slip into that worst case scenario game. We do need each other. I want to be like more like Rhoda too. I'm in the 13 spot this week. Love you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting as your FMF neighbor. No doubt about it ... the Lord provides if we let Him. Too often we -- read me -- get in the way of His providential care. He has the whole world in His hands ... and that includes you and me. Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much better to trust rather than to worry. What a blessed answer to prayer came your way! Of course, sometimes His answer is different and not what we thought, but it is still what is best. He cares so much for us and we need to prayer with expectancy, not with worry, right?! :)Thanks for sharing your miracle with us, Karrilee. Blessings to you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cool story! I love when God does stuff like that. Those moments are like little kisses from our Good, Good Father. You're right, though; it's easier to believe that He'll do those things for others than to believe He'll do them for me. Which is dumb, because He shows up in incredible ways for me all the time! Thanks for this great reminder, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes... the power of our testimonies... and the great value in remembering what He's done - again and again! Love you, friend!

      Delete
  5. Truly His ways are higher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SO encouraging. Thank you for this reminder to pray expectantly. Just amazing to hear how God has been moving in your family's need. Praise His Mighty Name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Anna! So glad you were encouraged! He's so good... and He takes care of His own! Praising Him with you!

      Delete
  7. Hi, Karrilee, I love stories like that where God surprises us completely, repeatedly. You make a great point of asking Him for what we need WITH EXPECTATION. If I'm honest, I don't do this a lot of the time. I just pray because I feel like I should, just to see if or maybe. What would happen if we hoped always and trusted, as you say, persistently, 100% all in? Wondrous things! Have a great weekend, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wondrous things, indeed! Thanks so much for stopping by, Christina! xoxo

      Delete
  8. I needed to read this today. Your words are very encouraging. Thank you for sharing and speaking of His wonderful faithfulness. Visiting from FMF (#73).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kelly! I am so glad you found what you needed! God is good like that!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive