July 27, 2015

I Have Faith In... Jazz Festivals, Traditions, and Friends Who Can Lean In to the Silence With You...


I don't think it would come as a surprise if I said that I have faith in God.  I mean - I would hope if you have been around here even just a little bit, that shines through.

I don't think it would come as a surprise if I said that I have a love of music. Worship mostly, sure - but one look at my Pandora stations, towers of Cd's, or burned collections in my car and you would find that I also love me some classic 70s/80s, some country, some jazz, top 40/pop, R&B, a little rap, and don't get me started on my love of James Taylor. (I also have learned to appreciate instrumental music - but I swoon for a good or clever lyric so...)

And when it comes to Traditions and Friendships - well, I think y'all know I love both of those things as well!

So when all of these unfold and unfurl together on a Saturday afternoon, even a drastic drop in temperature and unseasonably cooler weather can't put a chill on that warm fuzzy feeling deep inside that whispers Home and speaks of Truth!





Saturday, my Honey and I... we hit the road for a small college town just around the corner and we met up with four of our best friends to sit in a row and tap our toes and nod our heads and let our hearts and souls unwind and refresh. We do this, on this Saturday, every year, going on - well... a decade maybe.  Due to the music, our conversations are limited... but we have the glory of knowing words are not really needed anyway!

Sometimes God hooks you up with people who just get you... who have sowed into you and lived life right beside you for years and years and all that is needed is the near proximity and the sound of laughter to fill you back up and remind you of just what it is you have faith in anyway!


Yes. That.

Sometimes life is hard... and change is fast. 

Sometimes the road is long... or bendy and all fogged in... or both.  

Sometimes parents are sick, or kids move away. 

Sometimes work is hard, or play is long (long, long) overdue.  

Sometimes words are necessary and the heart space between you makes room and the words --they spill out and are heard --really listened to and considered... but sometimes... well - I have faith in the sometimes when you simply sit close to each other and none of that heaviness is addressed.  Not because we ignored it, or shied away from the real life things... but because in the light of the gifts we've been given and the God whom we love... well, love sings low and hope is the trumpet and trust drums along following closely, keeping tempo as faith rises once again in harmony!



I have faith in the sometimes when the blues are sung out, and truth is in the silence, and peace exudes anyway... When no words are needed because, instead, they were felt down deep in that thrumming bass as heads nodded, eyes closed, and we let the music speak for us instead... 

and we sing along, A Change is Gonna Come... 
and we feel it and hope it and we mean it
Oh how we mean it!

                                                                     Lady A at Jazz in the Valley 2015





P.S.  I'm linking up with these lovely writers:

The Community over at #SmallWonders 

Karen Deschenes Courcy for #TuesdayatTen

Laura Boggess over at #ChasingTheBlueFlower
Holly Barrett for #TestimonyTuesday


Kelly Balarie for #RaRaLinkUp

17 comments :

  1. Love this Karrilee! I love music, too, what a language it is! Love this image, too.."our best friends to sit in a row and tap our toes and nod our heads and let our hearts and souls unwind and refresh" -- Friends and music! God's gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Kathy! Definitely among His finest! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. So great, Karrilee - and yes, your faith in God is quite evident. :) Friends and sweet moments shared together are such good stuff. I've never been a big jazz fan, but recently had the opportunity to see Harry Connick Jr. perform at the Hollywood Bowl!! It blew my mind - especially his jazz arrangement of "How Great Thou Art." I'm a fan now! Thanks for sharing your fun with us...then again, you always do! #testimonytuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, HCJr is Swoon-worthy for a couple of reasons! ;) My hubby is a guitarist and Jazz player and enthusiast! I tend to prefer the pieces with singers and lyrics because, you know... of course! Still - I have come to love the unconventional way of Jazz and how even in the chaotic 'busy' pieces, there is a bit of an invitation to slow! It's always nice having you stop on by, friend!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:59 AM

    Beautiful! My heart sings along with this ... there is nothing quite like sharing your heart ... with those in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Dianne! Thanks so much for stopping by --and for singing along!

      Delete
  4. I love that you had a drop in temps! Yay! I'm not a big jazz lover but how I love just the idea of the day's outing! You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am blessed indeed, my friend! As I commented above, it's really my hubby who is the Jazz enthusiast - but the whole day is such a gift... I wouldn't miss it for anything!

      Delete
  5. Oh friend! The temp dropped here today. It is 70 degrees. The breeze is a much needed change. And Jazz music...YES! One of my dear college friends introduced me to Jazz music and I love it too. Oh and my Pandora station is FULL of all kinds of stations too...country, MoTown (I was just in Detroit!), christian, etc. And so much THIS friend: well, love sings low and hope is the trumpet and trust drums along following closely, keeping tempo as faith rises once again in harmony!" LOVE!!! And Love you friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw... leave it to you to pull out my favorite lines too! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Oh girl. You know I love how you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I read earlier today, Right back atcha, sista! ;) #ForRealThough

      Delete
  7. This sounds perfect, Karrilee. Sometimes, you just need a dose of that soul-deep to speak life into your bones. I'm glad you had a lovely time. I'm glad you have faith in jazz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are blessed with a handful of friends whose side by side silence fills us up! We don't take that for granted! :) Thanks so much for stopping by, my friend!

      Delete
  8. Sometimes I forget the things that feed my soul. For me, musicals, is one of those things. Thanks for this jazzy post friend. Thanks for linking up with the #RaRaLinkup via Purposeful Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blessed to be one of these friends, (and yes we do go back a long way together)I can't tell you how much your post means to me. It breaks down in words the feeling I always have about being together and why it's so important. Love you, Kar!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive