July 24, 2015

Ten - A Five Minute Friday Post

I missed y'all last night! I tried to pop in for a few, but the days were all packed full this week and Thursday evening was no different!  We had a conference to attend and a girlie to spend some time with... still, know that you were missed and at least part of my heart was leaning towards you and the #fmfparty crew! And here's the deal - I woke up this morning and saw the prompt and oh my goodness, there are so many different directions to go! However, I am going to continue on with a thought God was sowing in me last night at above mentioned conference... let's see where this goes!

This is Five Minute Friday (- a five minute timed free write) and our One Word Prompt for the day is: TEN


{GO}

You know my thoughts went in way more than ten directions at this prompt. I could use it as hours, in days or years... or I could use it as age in childhood or marriage... or it could be money, as in what could ten dollars buy - what kind of difference just ten dollars could make...

But earlier tonight, I was reflecting - maybe not exactly to ten years back. Maybe it was ten months ago... or maybe multiple decades... and maybe I was also vision casting ahead a bit as well and dreaming and goal setting and imagining what things may look like, feel like, be like way off in the distant (or not too distant) future. 

And here is what God reminded me...


No matter how much I love my bossy lists and penciled in day planner... no matter how I long for adventure and travel, or finances to do both... no matter what dreamy dreams I awake to or lofty goals I work towards... no matter if it is schedules meant for ten days or ten years from now - He is the only One who truly knows the number of my days... so don't forget to enjoy them --to find joy IN them!

He sees the plans we make and He partners with us and some of them truly will be dreams come true and some of them will graciously or not so graciously change and shift a bit along the way.

Some will feel like failures at the way they fell away and some will feel like they are finished, when in heavenly reality, they are just beginning - or beginning again - after all!

We can plan and dream and live for tomorrow... and I am not saying that we shouldn't! Oh how I think we should! How I think we are created for dreams and bigger than life adventures... but we must not lose sight of how we are promised today... this one day. 

And so let us hold tight to that, and hold loosely to all of the hopes and dreams for what's next! 


Let's lean in close to the Lord and live this day - THIS day - to it's fullest and let's let Him lead us in to all of our tomorrows! 

Make plans, yes! Dream big(-ger even!)...of course!

But let's be mindful to not get so caught up in what our future holds that we forget what gifts this day, this right here and right now day is offering out to us with open hands and gifts spilling out! Count them with me, won't you? Ten gifts that this day is offering that you may have missed if you were not slowing to pay attention?

{STOP}

We went to a conference last night and the speakers were a married couple and they shared how their grown up daughter collapsed and died in their arms. Suddenly. Out of nowhere. And they were talking about the goodness of God.

I sat there shaking my head and half-praying that that is the kind of faith and trust that I have and half-pleading that I will not have to ever find out. For real. Because I am nothing if not honest around here.

They shared how they are crazy faith people... Kingdom people like me who believe in resurrection and they prayed for that and still... it's been not quite ten years and oh how they miss her, but not once - never even once, did they give God 'credit'.  They said that they will never ascribe to their Father what their enemy has done in order to bring themselves comfort.

Oh how we do that, right? It gives us a bit of distance... it gives us a false sense of comfort but also sows in just a tiny bit of doubt and I have talked about how dangerous that can be around here before!  Still, it's easy to want to do that, because it can feel like an easy way out... but let's lean in and trust - even or especially when it's not easy.  

No matter what my days ahead hold, I know the One who holds them... who holds me... and let it be said of me, that no matter what - I shouted from the rooftops that our God is good. And I will count it out... the ways He blesses...

Count with me in the comments, won't you? What are gifts given today - this right here right now day, that you can list off and be thankful for? (You don't have to share ten... just one or two! But keep counting on your own! You'll be glad that you did!)



Linking up with Kate Motaung and the #fmfparty Community today.  Five Minute Fridays gives us the chance to dive right in and share what He puts on our hearts! Click here to read what others have to say about "TEN"

The FMF lowdown: I can't say it enough, really - I love my tribe! The gathering happens on Twitter on Thursday nights and then  we write our hearts out and hit publish all over the interwebs on Thursday and Friday (and sometimes on Tuesdays!) It's where we encourage and uplift... where we share prayer requests and praise reports... where we talk food and friends and we find support and kindred hearts and we are reminded that life is good and God is good and we are not alone... and then we all write for five minutes flat, a flash mob of wordsmiths letting our hearts and our fingers do the talking tapping and we hit publish before we can second guess it all away. We'd love to have you join us!

18 comments :

  1. My grandma's death has had me thinking so many things along this line as she was quite a dreamer. She lived out her dreams but had dreams change and left unfilled. But there is such peace that her ultimate dream of living w/her Father has been fulfilled. Really like your blog bcs it ties in w/all that God has been showing me. We really don't know how long we have. Today, I savored my child's laughter, his goofiness and his desire to learn as we did our homeschool lessons today. It took us 1 1/2 hrs longer to do his work bcs of all the silliness, but we needed the unhurried, unconnected (from technology) time to laugh and to just be. It was priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Amy - I love this so much! Yes - we should all learn this truth - that it is worth the extra time to make room for silliness! So sorry to hear about your grandmother but so glad that she lived out her dreams... thank you for taking the time to count a few blessings with me, friend!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post! Stopping by from FM #85 :) I shared my 10 favorite things for my post this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of going that route too, Casey - since I am sort of infamous for not being able to pick a favorite - it seemed 10 favorites would have been doable! I will go check your list out! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Grateful our yardwork, all of it, is done before the weekend begins! Grateful my hubs is taking off tomorrow and we're going to hangout together. Grateful we have a new freezer and can begin stocking up. Grateful God is my Sustainer. Shall I go on? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my friend... from one kindred counting heart to another... keep on going, of course! xoxo #neverstopgivingthanks

      Delete
  4. such a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post stuck with me all day today. I just wasn't able to comment due to my phone being all difficult. But I wanted to say that I've thought a lot about what you say above. Especially this: "And so let us hold tight to that, and hold loosely to all of the hopes and dreams for what's next!" You know some of my story right now. Life has been a whirlwind for months now and you became acquainted with me in person at the beginning of all of that - just as I quit my job. I'm so ready to write about all of it, but it's still coming full circle. I'm trusting in Him, though...and embracing each day to live it as fully as I possibly can.

    Thank you for the encouragement that I always find in this space. You have a gift, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, friend! Whirlwind of change is hard... and it can be dizzying and disorienting... but there is something like freedom of just leaning in and giving in to the freefall - trusting that while chaos is all around you and maybe even a little within you - all the while, He's got you and is guiding the wind and will place you back on solid ground exactly where He wants you to be! (I'm just so excited that some of that solid ground is red dirt clay!) xoxo

      Delete
  6. NOh friend I love this post. God is indeed good! Today I'm thankful that I got to spend the day with my sister enjoying the ND State Fair; sea lion show, Icees and topped off with an awesome Keith Urban concert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK... I'm gonna have to work through a bit of jealousy... a Keith Urban concert? Nice!!! So glad you stopped by and jumped in and are counting alongside me!

      Delete
  7. Karrilee, you never cease to amaze me by what comes out of your mind and heart in just 5 minutes! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, sweet friend! Praying for you to have a lovely weekend, too! xoxo

      Delete
  8. My grandpa has been in Paradise with our Lord for almost a week now. A large part of me aches that we didn't really have a relationship while he was alive, yet another part of me is so thankful that I will get to spend eternity with him, listening to the story of his life in the light of redemption, goodness and grace. In the light of God's holy presence.

    This moves me in two ways: to think more about Heaven, where my Home and my Hope are, and to spend time with the people I love today, while it is still called today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen friend... I have been praying for you... and continue to do so! Longing for home... and living this life He has gifted us! xoxo

      Delete
  9. "No matter how much I love my bossy lists and penciled in dayplanner".
    I was seriously laughing out loud. Me too. So much do I like to plan and have it all figured out.
    God has given me three children to help me learn to discover. To be curious and full of wonder all over again. It has taken a lot of spilled milk to let go of that perfection infection, though! Still letting it go.
    Plans aren't bad, as you said. But we'll miss out on today if we're only thinking of tomorrow.
    Loved it!
    Love,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... oh for the love of bossy lists, right? And yes and amen for the laying down of perfection and leaning in to the spontaneous and unplanned!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive