February 27, 2014

The Power to Choose - Five Minute Friday


Wow... what a fun night! I know - I usually type out a little paragraph here about how much I love the Five Minute Friday Community and the twitter party we have on Thursday nights... It's been so consistently amazing, that I am sure you probably skim skip right over this... so let's just go this route: Insert Gushing Here! 

Oh but - first - the fine print: if you don't know what FMF is!  Five Minute Fridays are hosted by Lisa Jo Baker.  It is open to anyone, so to learn more about it - and to jump in yourself (the more the merrier!) or just to find a linky to see what everyone is writing about today - click HERE!  The idea is to simply write... for Five Minutes flat... no editing, no deep thinking - or at least REthinking, no spell check - just write! Let it flow! We all write using a prompt that Lisa posts at 10pm Thursday night (EST.)  I'm loving the community of amazing bloggers and the creativity that flows from these magical Five Minutes!

So - here goes: Five Minute Friday - The Word Prompt is: CHOOSE

{GO}


Chances are good ya'll saw a photo like this (or - hopefully - 50) on your Twitter or Facebook feed, or splashed all over Instagram. #EndItMovement aims to bring awareness (and ultimately, freedom) to the 27 MILLION people stuck in slavery.  As in... today. (As in, even in America!)

It's been a few years now, that God has been drawing and stirring this heart of mine.  It was a slow awakening... and then it was overwhelming - all of the information and the heavy reality... the hugeness of this Modern Day Slavery problem.

I began to get involved in small ways... researching and sowing in to ministries like Women At Risk and Freeset.  Then, last Fall I hopped on board and hitched my heart to the InMercy Project with other bloggers to raise funds for Mercy House in Kenya.  This ministry, these girls... they had me.  Recently, I have begun to find local ministries... as in - in my own town, that are reaching out and making a difference. Offering help and hope to girls caught up in this lifestyle.  

I was given the power to choose. I could choose to look away; to continue to feed in to the illusion that this is a 3rd world problem; that sex traffficking happens only in India and Africa... maybe in Detroit and New Orleans... but the sad reality is that it is happening right where you are. Small town... big city... on foreign soil or homeland ground.  

We have the power to choose... when all of their power is stripped away. They are locked up, locked in, no choice offered, no way out.  But if we choose wisely - to awaken, to open our eyes and reach out our hands... we can hand out hope. We can meet needs and build relationships and we can bring Jesus with us and show them how He loves and who He loves (everyone!)

So I am limited, but He is not! With my little, I sow seeds in Africa and in Detroit... I host jewelry parties (WAR Int'l) and purchase bags (Freeset USA) and I stay connected with the Mercy House... but I am also planning craft nights and hoping to build some connections with girls younger than my own girlie... who are out... but not yet free... who are living just around the corner and down the street!

It is for Freedom that we've been set free. 

I am exercising my power to choose by deciding to Speak Life, Be Love, and Shine On when it comes to raising awareness and bringing freedom to the captives and release for the prisoners! 

{STOP}

We are in it to End It!
(Not on my watch!)


Five Minute Fridays gives us the chance to dive right in and share what He puts on our hearts! Click here to read what others have to say about "CHOOSE"  


So, what pulls at your heart? What stirs your passion?  What are you doing with your power to choose? What do you feel awakening deep within you? #Bethegift

And just in case you are like me... when these things start to stir - maybe you forget that it's not all up to you! It's not all about what YOU can do - or have to do or should do... it's about what HE has already done!   I am committed to The Love Idol Movement and I'd love for you to join us!  We are asking the Lord to show us idols that we are carrying around maybe unaware and we are laying them down. We are tired of looking elsewhere for approval, love, and validation... instead, we are looking right at Jesus... and He assures us that we are:
#preapproved



Speak Life. Be Love. Shine On.
~Karrilee~

35 comments :

  1. So, so awesome! You DO speak life, sister! And truth and freedom! And there is power in those words that he shines through you. I love watching you spread this mission through twitter and face book. You're saving the world, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much freedom when we realize that we really CAN change the world! We let go of our small thinking and our small visions and we realize that when we partner with the Savior of the World, saving the world just happens! Love you... and OH MY STARS... One Week! I get to see your face in real life in ONE WEEK!

      Delete
  2. You've got all the good stuff this week. Love your heart and where God is leading your passions. World changer. AND of course. ****8 days***** WOOHOOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful for you, sweet friend! And of course ONE WEEK!!! (Plus - I was talking with another Bender (? LOL - Bendite?) about a Spring or Summer trip that way! Plus - you know - there is ALWAYS #inrl at my house!

      Delete
  3. You are a life giver, my friend. So thankful to know you (and hope to get to know you for real one day)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you Barbie! And yes ...one day - in real life, sweet friend!

      Delete
  4. You are a bundle of joy, girl.
    And I always leave your place with a smile on my face.
    Love your brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... it's new and I am still not sure if fits quite right - but I am wearing Brave anyway... trusting I will just grow in to it! Love having you stop by!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous5:03 AM

    It's amazing how much power can be behind those choices when we say YES! Your passion shines through in this post...keep on spreading the word and changing lives!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, thanks so much for stopping by! Yes - the power of Choosing Yes, even when we can't know the outcome. Thank you for saying Yes too!

      Delete
  6. Amen! I try to educate my students about the modern day slavery problem, and work on their attitudes (young men, especially seem to think that girls choose prostitution--grrr!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true! Perspectives need to shift and simply changing our language is helping! Rather than saying someone is a prostitute, we say they are being trafficked. It's a slow change - but it is helping. Changing the mindsets and attitudes of our young men is a powerful vital starting point! Thank you for raising awareness!

      Delete
  7. Yes, this. We can choose to help and make a difference for those who can't. LOVE Freeset and Mercy House! Two of my favorites. :) Blessings, sweet friend...I love your heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel - of course! Of course we both have a heart for Freeset and for the Mercy House... just of course! #Kindred Love your heart right back! (So excited for you... counting down and praying!)

      Delete
  8. Oh how I love this & love the ways you are *choosing* to get involved! Wishing you blessings and a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sybil - thank you so much for stopping by! When we realize that all the while - we have been choosing unaware - it makes choosing on purpose that much easier! Hope you have a blessed and wonder filled weekend, as well!

      Delete
  9. Younger than your own girlie! Yes! A confession/rant :) I get so frustrated when ministries don't make the connection between teen girls and women to forge bonds and foster mentoring. Love your heart for this! (PS: you can never change your linkup profile picture because I look for it every week. Ha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - thanks so much for stopping by! And thanks for your confession/rant too - I agree... bridging the gap is so vital! (And thanks for the tip! LOL! I will remember it whenever I am tempted to change my pix!)

      Delete
  10. Thank you for your commitment and you willingness to be apart of something that is huge…to not despise small beginnings…but to really believe that every thing you do will help in some way …and that it all will add up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer, thanks so much for stopping by! There is so much power in the small beginnings... in saying Yes and starting with the thing that is right in front of you! I appreciate the encouragement... and I really DO believe it will all add up... both here and 'there'!

      Delete
  11. Love that we are in this together - so good to find community where our hearts are aligned. I choose this with you. And stand with you for those whose voices are muted or muffled. Until they can. I'm also jumping up and down thinking, "this time next week!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you friend! (And I keep thinking the SAME THING!!!)

      Delete
  12. So I finally got a chance to get over here and comment. Oh my I wish I loved closer I would so come to the craft night. I love how you said we are limited but HE is not. So true, reaching out with you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my - there are SO many reasons why I wished you lived closer too - but having you with me on Craft Night definitely makes the top! Love you so - and so glad He is NOT limited!

      Delete
  13. Karrilee, I love your heart and your commitment to the cause. I was just thinking today about what a difference you make in each of the ways you speak truth and draw awareness! I love your passion and commitment. Thank you for shining a light and not looking away. Love you! Next weekend …. ahhh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Ashley - I know you will be busy next wknd at the conference but I am so looking meeting face to face, heart to heart! If we somehow get a chance to have a sit down huddled up conversation too, that will be a huge bonus! Can. Not. Wait!

      Delete
  14. Love what you said here…"So I am limited, but He is not!” That is so, so true. And I’m also feeling a huge pull to spread the message about this. I recently became aware of two missionaries that shared at my church doing work for Set Them Free International and I was in racking sobs leaving the service. I know this is real. And it often seems like we can do so little individually. I want to do more. Be more. I will look through your site and see what else you have to say about this. I want to find ways to help in my own community. I know it has to be going on here in my “small” world and there has to be a way to “shine light” on it. Thank you for choosing to do so. Blessings today! So glad to meet you in FMF party and I hope to be able to link up there more often. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith, Thanks so much for stopping by! Yes - we can -well, I CAN, so often forget that my limitedness does not effect Him unless I let it! There are a lot of national and int'l ministries or organizations that can help - and I am sure you are aware of those - I mentioned a few in this post... but I encourage you to look locally as well! Even calling mental health or your local police dept or jail to find out about trafficking is a good start!

      Glad you joined in at #fmfparty and yes - please do link up! It's an amazing community!
      Have a great weekend... (and get some of that quiet time in - I read your post and I can feel it when I miss out on that as well! Your day will go much smoother after that!)

      Delete
  15. Yes, it's everywhere... A nearby town (and I do mean town, not city) was rocked when when police broke up a human trafficking ring. They were operating out of the local Thai noodle shops, and nail salons. The girls did your nails by day, and by night? Well, no need to elaborate.

    Thank you so much for talking about this horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen - thanks so much for stopping by! Yes - this is happening in small towns, rural communities, college towns... as well as big cities and overseas! Praising God that the police were able to break up that local ring... it is a horror! Shining Light and bringing awareness is the first step - but it is a vital one!

      Delete
  16. Anonymous10:19 AM

    So love your heart for this, Karrilee! Thank you for sharing your choice to help women and girls who are being exploited all over the world. God will bless all those efforts to care for His daughters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly - I always love it when you stop by here! Agreeing with you in prayer that God will bless all the efforts and bring Freedom! Honored to play even a small part in every life freed - and restored! Bless you, friend!

      Delete
  17. Karrilee, I love that you used this space to write about Choose this way! It speaks LIFE and LOVE that you continue to work to set captives free however you can. I pray that God allows us to see an end (or a coming end) to the slavery and human trafficking that we are opening our eyes to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in all the small ways that we can really make a difference... for they add up Big without us even noticing! I am praying in agreement with you, my friend! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  18. I love this! What a challenge you issued in a not challenging voice! We can all do something, can't we? I'm starting to write letters to sex trafficking victims. It's a small thing for me, but I believe will make a big impact in the lives of young girls in other places. Thank you for this beautiful post! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive