September 20, 2014

That Thing I Do Now - Vol 62

Happy Fall, Ya'll!  (Wait... what? Too soon?)  Our little town hosts a State Fair and this weekend we are kickin' it County Fair style! Small Town Parade? Yep.  Midway rides, and corn dogs, elephant ears, 'concerts'... you betchya!  We even offer up some Deep Fried Prayer! (We rent a booth and offer prayer and blessings through out the fair! This is the second year a group of us is doing it and we have such a blast showing people that God is in a good mood and that He loves loves loves them - no matter what!)





Happy Reading!
Featured today are posts by Jennifer Dukes Lee, Nish Weiseth,  Kelli Woodford, Shannan Martin, Lisa Leonard, Ashley Larkin, plus a book review of Holley Gerth's new book and a video by Steffany Gretzinger!  Enjoy!

(Ya'll know to click on the authors' names to read their whole posts, yes?)



* This one by Jennifer Dukes Lee over at Incourage.me with Light, for Your Darkest Days"...
"The light does more than make a good photo. It preaches a sermon—one we might need to hear on days like these, in times like these.

I found myself listening to the sky’s sermon the other day while barefoot on gravel, expectant and needy. The day before had been crammed with bad news around the world, and I craved light.


And then, the sun rose, and I saw it anew: How light overcomes darkness, one glorious inch at a time, to gladden our barbed world."



* This one by Nish Weiseth with Obscurity and my ego...
"There is good stewardship when it comes to influence. 

However, I'll be honest. It's really easy to get sucked into the vortex of celebrity and get drunk on that same influence. It's really easy to hit the gas pedal on speaking gigs and promotion and travel, with little regard to your family and true community at home.


There's a fine line between stewarding your message and feeding your ego. There's a fine line between Kingdom-building and empire-building. And for me, I always want to be moving with the ways of God's Kingdom, and subverting the empire. It doesn't mean I'm saying no to everything, it just means I'm saying yes to the right things."


This poetic beauty by Kelli Woodford with Coming Home to My Body...
"Deep within, I sense a rhythm. Confident and perpetual. As of mountains and of stardust and of leaves on lazy rivers, so beats my heart. Mysteries of existence are hidden here. Rarely are they mined. Rarely do we pay them mind. But their enigmatic hints don't cease from the dance. The dance which comforts us with the knowledge that, no, we are not alone. " 


* This post by Shannan Martin over at Flower Patch Farmgirl with For You...
"There is nothing that can separate God's people from His grand design, where every end spells goodness.
We can't do anything bad enough to turn the wine back to water.

He's got the microphone.

He's up on the stage.
His shirt is soft, His jeans are muddy, His eyes are so kind.

And he shouts while He laughs, His free hand waving us to Him.


"I am so for you. You don't even know. Get over here!"


Then He drops that mic, He jumps down and He runs.

Straight into our mess."


* This post by Lisa Leonard with over at Incourage.me with Showing Myself a Little Kindness...
"The car was dead. I figured I must have left the lights on the night before. I was tired and in a hurry to get out of the car. I called AAA and sat down on the curb to wait.

“I’m such an idiot,” I told myself.


“I’m so stupid!” I repeated in my head.


Over and over I called myself names and berated myself for my mistake.


If you were there with me and it was your car, I would have told you, “No big deal!”


I’m sure I’d remind you it only set us back half an hour. I would have hugged you and told you not to be so hard on yourself. It was just a small, simple mistake.


But for myself I had no grace, only harsh words and criticism.


I began to wonder, at that early hour, how my perspective would change if I was gentler with myself. What if I showed myself kindness?"



* This post by Ashley Larkin with Morning Rain...
"i don’t say it out loud for those wet months
will stretch long,
but i think it and i begin
to pine for the splattering drops,
the spray from under car tires,
the look of ground saturated,
satisfied

these plants are long-suffering, drooped in fatigue,
and the dirt is dust that clings
to little feet and carpets,
and when wildfires burn uncontained,
we hold our breath and pray and wait"



* This one right HERE where I talk about What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days by Holley Gerth...
"There is this woman... she is amazing, and loving, and just overflows with encouragement, and oozes Jesus in all the best ways. And there is this book that arrived on my doorstep during one of the hardest weeks of Days so far..."


And lastly... the video... because, of course! I just downloaded this CD and it is on repeat everywhere I go! I highly recommend it! 


                              There's no fear in love! Amen!

Happy Weekend, ya'll!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive