January 22, 2015

SHARE - Five Minute Friday...



It's Thursday night and ya'll know what that means! Before Parenthood (which tragically only has ONE MORE WEEK... what the what?) - there is #fmfparty and the Twitter party where a Flash Mob of writers gather to encourage and inspire and then write for five minutes flat on one word and link up our Brave (unedited) offerings over at Kate's place!

Here is our Word Prompt for the day: SHARE
Yep... I guess I am still chewing on the interview with Tony Kriz that I blogged about last FMF!

{GO}

I know... 

I know I wrote about how I listened to Tony Kriz in this interview last week. I wrote about what he said in the last ten minutes about how we must stop being commuters and we must start being communicators... (my interpretation of his words there!)  He talked about how we must get out of our homes and cars and really meet our neighbors... I'm still thinking about it.

But I read words by him earlier this week and oh my goodness... they are just keep rooting down deeper in my heart!  

In his book, Neighbors and Wise Men, he said this: 
"What if sharing the gospel was not so much like sharing a chocolate cake, where one person has privileged access and the other has not? What if sharing the gospel was instead like sharing a sunset?"


Yes. That.


Let's stand shoulder to shoulder... let's be observers, caught up in glory and beauty and mystery... let's be seekers of wonder, and givers of grace!

I don't know about you... but I know for me - I can get myself all worked up about how hard it is to 'share the gospel'.  I can forget that it is gloriously not a list of rules or a secret club... I can feel that my life is too small, too introverted, ...too - online... to really be making a difference!

I have felt a divine pulling this week... part of me is stretching and leaning into Risk and wanting to push away from my comfort zones... I want to meet new people and live new adventures and share with more boldness and bravery.

But I am finding in that pulling, I also have been discounting what it is that I am doing --that I am called to. 

He reminded me this week that I am not to devalue that which He has put before me to do.  

He has put me here, in front of this screen - and it is an honor and privilege and oh my goodness how I can forget that it matters.

I can forget because it doesn't always feel like sharing the gospel. It doesn't always feel like it counts.

I can forget because it doesn't compare to the way others are doing it or it isn't risky enough in real life... 

Maybe.  Maybe it isn't. 

Maybe you feel this pulling too... the strain between real life and online ministry... the strain between how it's always been done, and how He is calling you to do it!

Maybe He IS calling us all up higher and out further from our comfort zones... 

(Probably.  He probably is!)

And yet... in the stretching and leaning and standing up into... let us not forget the value of doing what He puts before us* and trusting that He is working in it and through it and all around it...

Really... whatever work or ministry or calling 'it' is - we can't really lay claim to it anyway! 

It's gospel... it's sunset... 
    it's wonder and glory... 
         and it's ours to share!


{STOP}

I hit the Five Minute mark at *... but I wanted to finish my thought!

Sharing life with you,




Five Minute Fridays gives us the chance to dive right in and share what He puts on our hearts! Click here to read what others have to say about "SHARE"


Oh ...the fine print: if you don't know what FMF is!  Five Minute Fridays have been hosted by Lisa Jo Baker.  This week we start gathering over at Kate Motaung's.  FMF is open to anyone, so to learn more about it - and to jump in yourself (the more the merrier!) or just to find a linky to see what everyone is writing about today - click HERE!  The idea is to simply write... for Five Minutes flat... no editing, no deep thinking - or at least REthinking, no spell check - just write! Let it flow! We all write using a prompt that Lisa posts at 10pm Thursday night (EST.)  I'm loving the community of amazing bloggers and the creativity that flows from these magical Five Minutes!

20 comments :

  1. "I can feel that my life is too small, too introverted, ...too - online... to really be making a difference!"

    You've been reading my journal. I've been struggling so much with this surgery and recovery thing and how it throws off what I thought life would be. I absolutely belittle and shrug off what I'm able to do in this season. Thank you, dear one, for sharing this tonight. I need to "not forget the value of doing what He puts before us* and trusting that He is working in it and through it and all around it..." Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Marie... I assure you that I have not, in fact, been reading your journal - but I HAVE been writing in mine! ;) #KindredIndeed Love you so... I think we all need the reminder sometimes that what we are doing matters... it counts! Looking forward to less ice on the roads between us, friend!

      Delete
  2. What an enlightening post Karrilee! I know exactly what you mean about how we should expand our reach. I think that if we long to reach out to people about the Bible in different ways, God will show the when and the how we should do this. Funny how a lot of times opportunities to do this find us in unexpected ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Verona! Here's to being open and creative and following His lead!!! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. That sunset example is such a cool one! I've never thought about it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for it... it is from Tony Kriz - but I had never thought of it that way either! It obviously is sticking with me and stiring things up in me in all the best ways! So glad you stopped by, Paula!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:06 AM

    That analogy with the cake is great - I will ponder that thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again -it's an analogy from Tony Kriz... he was sharing in the book how he had heard the sharing the gospel is like if you have a piece of chocolate cake analogy as a kid... how if you have cake, and it's so good... you should share it with those who don't have any... it didn't quite sit well with him and after many years, he stumbled upon the sunset... how we can share a sunset shoulder to shoulder and drink it in together... knowing we never take credit or lay claim to owning it... it is freely given and meant to point us to the glory of God! Anyway - he says it much better in Neighbors and Wise Men! Thanks so stopping by, friend!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful analogy for sharing the gospel--I love sunsets (and sunrises) and it's so true that when we share one with another person, we don't focus on whether or not the sunset is 'doing it right'. We just stand in awe at the beauty. If we did more 'standing in awe at the beauty of the gospel' we'd probably do a lot more sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen... I just love how it takes the pressure off - of both parties, really! And honestly, what is better than sharing a sunset? It's one of my favorite things! xoxo

      Delete
  6. I am going to listen to Tony, it must be good if you've been "gnawing" for two weeks now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (He was super good, right? I know you've already listened... he said some AMAZING things in that interview!) I keep rewatching it!

      Delete
  7. This is such a beautiful thought, Karrilee- When we are Christ-focused, we reach farther, share His gospel better, AND are more beautiful. And none of it comes from us. Thanks for sharing your gift here. It always inspires. :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it true? When we remember Him... everything feels more authentic and real and everything shines so much brighter! Thanks so much for stopping by, Karen! I always appreciate your encouragement!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous5:17 PM

    There is nothing like a sunset to inspire but more importantly it is a piece of God's glory that can bring people together from all walks of life to enjoy. The thought of standing shoulder to shoulder in real life with others and share God brings me out of my comfort zone. But when God calls - especially when He asks you to step out and shine, you take the leap trusting and knowing that you are where you are supposed to be. Thank you for this and for the words from Tony Kriz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen... shoulder to shoulder requires trust, doesn't it? But it also creates community and builds relationship that goes beyond the sunset sharing! xoxo

      Delete
  9. Yes!! That Tony Kriz quote is so wonderful! Such an eye opener! Thanks for reminding me to continue to share; share my story; to share Gods story etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, friend! Thanks for your Vox... I will respond soon... hope you're having a blessed weekend, my friend! Share, share, share away!

      Delete
  10. You matter so, so much. And I have been so deeply blessed by you risking to reach out to me. Keep pushing deeper in, friend. He has need of you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive