November 29, 2013

What I Learned in November...



So - the last time I wrote about things that I learned in a month was way back in September... that was like, a LONG time ago! In between then and now - well, surely I have learned many things, right? (Right?)  Well - again - how could I know? It's not like I remembered (yet again) to keep a list... sigh...

So - this list will have to randomly cover October and November but rest assured, it's not like they didn't all run together in real life too!  I won't add more things... but will just pick a handful of things that I CAN remember and call it good, so here we go:


12  Random Things that I learned in (October &) November:

1. I learned that I really CAN lock myself up and stay focused and write for days and days and survive it... I wasn't so sure but once I committed to writing #31Days - as in, RIGHT after I signed up and wrote a little 'What I Learned...' post stating that I was doing it (and then linking it over at Emily's blog - who happens to be The Nesters sister...) I then - and only then - realized that we would be gone for over half of October.  As in - no exaggerating - GONE.  I would be out of town for 17 out of 31 days!  How did I not know this?  So what this meant was that I prayed up and bowed down and got busy... writing 31 posts in a matter of days.  I forewarned told my little family that I was going to be pretty much in this seat, in front of this monitor, for days - but then it would be better because then, while I vacation, I could remain gloriously unplugged! That mostly happened, so it was win-win! I honestly didn't think I could write 31 posts in 3 days... and sure I went back and added a photo here or edited it a little there - but overall, the bulk of it was done by October 4th and I was free to get up and move about the aisles, uh plane no, planet!


2. Sometimes it only SEEMS as if you may die and have to cancel your vacation plans... oh and Prayer is AWESOME, ya'll!  So, just days before our trip to South Carolina, I got sick.  Now - given, we are not 'good' at being sick.  We are blessed with overall health and we just don't usually have to worry about having medicine cabinets fully stocked or any other 'necessity' of being sick on hand either.  I got SLAMMED... I really thought I may die... and worse yet, it seemed as though I would be sending my husband to Allume with my girlie in my place... or someone in my place... but not me. I could not possibly board a plane and be expected to sit upright and keep anything in the right places while battling close quarters, turbulence, and shared air. I mean, really!  So I weakly asked for prayer... honestly I didn't have much faith at the time but I knew it would have to be God to get me there and ya'll rallied!  The night before our flight - I softly uttered some weak attempt at giving out options to my hubby for who he could bring in my place but he was having none of it! I woke up in a few hours at 4a.m. and we headed over the mountains and through the hills and we boarded our plane and ran to the next gate at layovers, and finally landed in Charleston around 9p.m. - and not ONCE did I remember that I was pretty much almost dying the day before?  Yeah... Prayer is Awesome! (and Thank you! ...and thank You, Lord!)


3. Date Nights got NOTHIN' on Date Vacations... Seriously... oh you with Littles, I promise one day this may see more doable and when it even begins to hint at a possiblity, DO IT!  It's just the best

 (Photo credit: Kim DeLoach)
4. Sometimes you can think you know what God is gonna do, and sometimes you are right even when it looks like you Got. It. All. Wrong.  So, I wrote about Allume HERE... and a little HERE... but let's just say - I thought I knew why God was calling me to Allume.  But once I got there, it felt like maybe I didn't belong... like maybe what I wanted wasn't so much what God wanted but it seemed impossible because I'm pretty sure we both were wanting the same thing.  Yeah... after the fact, He let me in on what He was up to.  Remembering to get His bigger perspective really helps and I'd like to think I learned that in October and I'd love to say I didn't need to relearn it in November but... well... yeah, that.


5. When you are in a different time zone from your (not so little) Girlie and she wants to Snapchat or Facetime... well... you learn to love it!  We were on our way to South Carolina... we were probably over the midwest when our Nearly Grown Girlie texted that she felt like she was going to die. (See #2 above.)  Yeah. That.  Poor thing... with not a Mama at home to help her through it!  I promised her that she would not die and, in fact, in just a matter of days at most, she'd feel completely better.  I knew it was true - but when she Facetimed with me, hearing her little voice erased the space between us! She bought me my iPhone before we left... yep - SHE bought ME an iPhone so that we could Facetime and Snapchat while we were on the other side of the country... she's pretty amazing!  So - bonus: Days later when I was really missing her, I remembered that I had Snapchat on my phone and then opened it to find a pile of messages from her... well - I learned to love it (and make a duck face, and take a screenshot- oh yeah!) almost immediately! Thank God for technology!


6.  When you go to the Atlantic Ocean in late October and it's all mid-70s to lower 80s, South Carolina gets all flirty with you...  For just a few moments, we lost our minds and entertained life on the East Coast... strolling along the shore on Sullivan's Island, or browsing along King Street and Battery Park... or walking among the gardens at Magnolia Plantation... but then we'd remember - Wait... it's usually HUMID and STICKY here, right? Oh yeah... we don't like that... OR the huge bugs... or the alligator.  Yeah... whatever. So what if the water felt like a lukewarm bath vs. a tortured form of ice bathing that we are used to while wading into the Pacific. We were not fallin' for it! But SC sure is cute!



7. Dry Shaving while in a hurry to leave for the Beach is probably never EVER a good idea...  I'm just sayin'... it's really not a good idea ever... but especially when you are in a hurry to go to the beach... especially when Mr. Atlantic is oh so flirty and such and you somehow FORGET that you dry shaved in two seconds flat until you are knee deep in salty SEA WATER... yeah.  THEN you remember.  Then you remember ALL about it!



8. Sometimes you really don't have any answers for someone... but sometimes they don't expect you to have any answers, but they hope you have a little grace. I have a friend who has been in need of help in the past month or so.  Help that is beyond my knowledge or skill set.  I feel helpless and out of answers but in reality, what she needs more than answers thrown at her, is grace wrapped around her.  And prayers... lots and lots of prayers! (See #2 again!)



9.  I have rediscovered the simple joy of an Eggnog Latte made at home... in my jammies... with nothing else planned!  A friend requested that 'someone' enjoy an eggnog latte in her honor since she no longer lives in the States and was unable to enjoy one herself so you know that I stepped up and answered the call! That's just the kind of friend I am, ya'll! I bought one in her honor... and then (oops?) while grocery shopping the next day, just went ahead and bought a small carton of eggnog to keep at home... you know, sort of hidden way way way in the back of the frig.  (Whatever!) 


10.  I learned that I really like Mumford & Sons and I know that I am terribly late to the party...  Yep- I had heard of them, and heard part of a song or two, but while flying the friendly skies, I listened to the whole CD... several times... and I think I will have to own it... as in - legally purchase an actual CD! 


11.  I learned that I love TV more than I thought... case in point 3 cases in point:
I love Parenthood on NBC too so much... as in, I don't like it when I 'see' the actors outside of their characters... I want them to really BE the Bravermans... like, ALL the time... and I want them to live next door to me! Also... I feel like this is TOTALLY normal! 
Boy Meets World was a great show... and they are making a sequel of sorts with ALL of the original cast (as if they are the characters they play and they have just been WAITING for the cameras to roll again!)  Uh... see #11.  My girlie and I love to watch this show in the afternoons... when we should probably be doing lots of other stuff but instead, at least for now, snuggle up and ignore homework and such and watch us a little Cory and Tapanga... and who doesn't love Shawn? ...and Mr. Feeny? 
I heard a rumor that there is an agreement with the cast of Gilmore Girls to do a movie... with the script written by the original writer of this series... so I hold. my. breath.  As in, God - let this be true! I mean - The Gilmore Girls is simply the best show ever. Hands down. No Contest.  (Note - All Bravermans are to remain Bravermans at all times but let's just be honest, 'Sarah' will always always always be Lorelai Gilmore.  Always.

12. I am thankful for many things - FREEDOM (and not just my own) tops the list. Each year, there is more to be thankful for!  Maybe there is not More... but Less?  Less distractions... Less 'things' placed up high as important or needed... Less stress of even striving for perfection... This month, my girlie and I hosted our second Annual Women At Risk Open House Trunk Show.  WAR Int'l shipped me boxes and boxes of gorgeous handmade jewelry and scarves and cards and such and we opened our home and invited people to come and shop with purpose... 

...and I learned that when our eyes are opened and we are offered an opportunity, more often than not - we will step up and step out and we want to Be the Gift and help to change the world!

I am Linking up with Emily over here at Chatting at the Sky!
Join us!



So what about you?  What have you learned in October/November? 

10 comments :

  1. Anonymous11:45 PM

    Hello Karrilee! What great fun reading your list!

    I did the 31 Days thing too (so challenging), and wow, I don't think I could've done what you did! Good job!!!

    Mumford & Sons - so good! Did you know they have two CDs out now? In my opinion, both are solid.

    Blessings,
    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzie - thanks for the tip on M&Sons and for stopping by!
      Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and are enjoy the Advent season!

      Delete
  2. Whew....you learned A LOT! Makes my meager offering seem wimpy. Should have included October. :) So...I had read your SC experience weeks ago and was so happy for you. What a testimony to our wonderful God and the body of Christ Who/who made it possible for you to go. Yay! The pic of you and your hubby says it all. So precious. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Lisa! I tend to be wordy anyway - and for me, October and November melted together! Happy to have you stop by! Have a blessed Advent season!

      Delete
  3. You are so cute! SC will be happy to adopt you when you're ready!

    I also LOVE Gilmore Girls--daughter and I borrow it from Netflix and watch together! I've not tried Parenthood yet, so I appreciate the recommendation!

    Deb Weaver
    thewordweaver.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - YOU are so cute! ;) I am not surprised that you love GGs too! Why wouldn't you, kindred heart?

      Love you so, my friend!

      Delete
  4. I love your wisdom. I am on a blogging break, so haven't been around but wanted to come and tell you how much you inspire and move me! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Ashley, girlie - you are just so good for me! You bless and inspire and move me too! And aaahhh - nice.. a blogging break is so often needed! Praying refreshing and recentering for you, my friend!

      Delete
  5. Karrilee, I love that the more I know you, the more I love you. Your enthusiasm, your heart, your faith, your love for your family, your humor...you are such a joy. I loved learning what you learned in November. And that dry shaving meets salt water -- yikes! Sorry to say I already knew that one. Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving. (I still cannot believe what your October was like. All your posts in four days! And then how sick you were before Allume!) Sending much love to you. Happy to see you again. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley - I feel the same way about you and I cannot believe that we only live a few hours apart and we have yet to meet up in real life! We will fix that soon! We are hoping to head to Portland soon... so we'll have to try to meet up! I loved reading your words this morning... I was happy to see you again too my friend!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive