November 2, 2012

#FMFParty Five Minute Friday: Roots


I just can't help myself... every Thursday night for the past several weeks, I have felt this magnetic DRAW to Twitter to hook up with some incredible bloggers and play along with Lisa Jo Baker and Five Minute Friday's!  To learn more about it - and to jump in yourself (the more the merrier!) - click HERE!

The idea is to simply write... for Five Minutes flat... no editing, no deep thinking, or spell check - just write! Let it flow! We all write off of a prompt that Lisa posts at one minute past midnight Friday morning  (EST.)  I'm loving the community of amazing bloggers and the creativity that flows from these magical Five Minutes!

So - here goes:
Five Minute Friday - ROOTS

{GO}
For most of my life, I went by a nickname... a shortened version of my given name, because - well - because it was easier to learn how to write in kindergarten and from there, it just stuck. However, several years ago, I heard the Lord whisper to me, "I named you on purpose!"  So, as strange as it was, I began to go by my full given name.  I loved it as an adult, and it was easy enough to switch over to online in my business and writing, but a little harder in 'real life'.

About a year after making the switch, I came in contact with a woman from Australia who had the same name.  She told me that it is somewhat common where she lives and it is an Aboriginal name, that means A Resting Place beside water.  Oh my... I loved that!

A Resting Place... does this not remind you of the Scripture in the Psalms...  it actually made me think of two! First off - of course, Psalm 23 where the Lord says that He will make us lie down beside quiet waters. Secondly - I thought of the verse in Psalm 1.  In The Message version it reads like this: "He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers."

Needless to say, I now boldly go by my given name... I believe that He names us on purpose and the meaning of our name lends itself to who He has created us to be! I boldly step in, for my Roots go deep!
I am like a tree firmly planted...

...and my hearts desire is to be a Resting place beside quiet waters to those around me!

{STOP}

So - do you know what the real meaning of your name is?  I encourage you to search it out and ask the Lord what His intentions were in naming you!  ...and why not ask Him for a new name, while you are at it! You just may be surprised at what He says and how He sees you!

It's Friday... click here to read, and then find your voice and join the crowd!
Five Minute Friday

~Karrilee~

5 comments :

  1. It's a really beautiful name! I'm glad you shared your heart today.... that verse about being like the tree planted by the water is one I learned a few weeks back with my son for Sunday school - what a beautiful thought to hold to associated with your name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate your sharing, be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your name and its meaning! I do have to confess that my name has always been an enigma to me. The meaning is Supplanter which doesn't have a lot grace or beauty! But then I looked it up and realized it also means May God Protect. That rings more true. I am very often called to let God be my defense. Thanks for your words on my blog today and I am so glad you're joining this 5MF community. I think you'll be very blessed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I LOVE how you stated that God "named you on purpose." My name, Megan, means "pearl." I am only beginning to understand the depth that comes with such a name. Strength. Beauty. Perseverance under adversity. I had never considered these meanings as a child. Now, as an adult, I have come to cherish the meaning.

    Thank you for welcoming me into the Five Minute Friday community!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, love this, friend!
    and yes...you wear that name proudly ;)

    Love and hugs to you and cannot tell you how thrilled we are you joined us crazy grace-filled group of #FMFParty bloggers! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive