December 18, 2015

Tis the Season for Receiving... a Five Minute Friday post.

Oh what a surprise Kate gave us last night... This week flew by and even though I am 'ready' for the holidays, I have not quite been feeling them just yet.  So when Kate decided to let us all choose a word for ourselves, well-- I really wanted someone to boss me around just a little bit! So instead of writing right away... I took a break, sat in my comfy chair without a screen in sight, and I let the One who bosses me best give me a Word... a truth... to write on.  So - here we go... let's see what happens!

This is Five Minute Friday (- a five minute timed free write) and our One Word Prompt for the day is actually all up to us! We each got to pick our own word. So the Word I picked, or that picked me, is: RECEIVE

{GO}

"Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare Him room
And heaven and nature sing..."

Tis the season, right? The season for Joy... for rejoicing... for preparing Him room... for receiving our King... 

And yet...

Joy feels far away and the rejoicing has yet to really pull us up out of this heaviness we may find ourselves under.

We prepare many things, but often we forget about preparing our hearts. 

And receiving our King? Well, yes... that would be great. 

We should remember to do that.


I don't know about you... but I know for me --I sung the words to this Christmas Carol for years before truly knowing Joy... 



...before knowing (and receiving) my King! And I am reminded of the vision I shared not too long ago, of Jesus standing in front of each of us, holding a gift... and all we need to do is receive it!

I believe from that first Night Divine to this very one right here and now, He is the greatest gift and He is the Joy that has come to this world... He is the One who came and Who is coming still.


Our job is simple... it always has been, but we just make it so hard.

Our job is - and has always been - to receive.

We have not because we ask not, yes. 

But there is also this: We have not because we ask... and we ask... and we ask for more, but we don't always actually receive.

A gift is wonderful... but we only find it wonder-filled when we untie the ribbons and tear open the box.

Ah yes... that.

Let's untie what is bound this Christmas and tear open any boxes that we have limited Him too. Let's receive all that He has for us... however He gets it to us... Let's once again gather 'round the cradle and let heaven and nature sing... But let's also remember that we are to gather around the Cross when all of heaven fell silent.  That too, was a holy night.


That was a Night Divine when Life defeated Death and Christ was warring on our behalf... paying the price and handing us gifts nail-scarred hand over fist...

And, again, our job:
  To receive.

Receive Him... Receive your King. 

Prepare your heart and your home and make room for a bit of Holy to come crashing into your night... and watch and see how He makes all things new and turns the darkness into light... the downtrodden, Divine.

Because He comes... He came...
  He is coming for you still!

"Joy to the World...
    ...and heaven and nature sing..."


{STOP}

So I was hoping to somehow come back around to this... verse 4:
"He rules the world with truth and grace 
And makes the nations prove 
The glories of His righteousness
And wonders of His love."
Because... you know... Wonders!  Wonder was my OneWord for 2015. I guess I will work on a wrap up post on how Wonder showed up and showed off for next week!

Until then, let's all remember to:





Linking up with Kate Motaung and the #fmfparty Community today.  Five Minute Fridays gives us the chance to dive right in and share what He puts on our hearts! Click HERE to read what others have to say as everyone picked their own word today!

The FMF lowdown: The gathering happens on Twitter on Thursday nights & then we write our hearts out & hit publish all over the interwebs on Thursday & Friday (& sometimes on Tuesdays!) It's where we encourage & uplift... where we share prayer requests & praise reports... where we talk food & friends & we find support & kindred hearts. It's where we are reminded that life is good & God is good & we're not alone... & then we all write for five minutes flat, a flash mob of wordsmiths letting our hearts & our fingers do the talking tapping & we hit publish before we can second guess it all away. 


We are taking a little break from our usual Five Minute Fridays for the rest of the year --but look for a few more fun link ups and for the return of One Word Prompts in January! We'd love to have you join our tribe!


16 comments :

  1. Anonymous2:55 PM

    Great choice of word and beautiful post! It's so easy to get caught up in the busyness of Christmas and overcomplicate things, when actually it's just about receiving his gift. I love this line: "Let's untie what is bound this Christmas and tear open any boxes that we have limited Him too. Let's receive all that He has for us... however He gets it to us..." Hope you have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carly! Untying and tearing open right with you! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Great word, my friend. I love where you took it, and the images you included. Such talent! Joy to the world indeed. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. You got me, friend. All too often I want to keep God wrapped up in a box of my making so that I can comfortably live my life whislt only paying lip-service (See how big my God is, he's in that box over there). Thank you for the reminder to unwrap the gift and receive all he wants to give me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS: "Let's untie what is bound this Christmas and tear open any boxes that we have limited Him too. Let's receive all that He has for us... however He gets it to us... Let's once again gather 'round the cradle and let heaven and nature sing... But let's also remember that we are to gather around the Cross when all of heaven fell silent. That too, was a holy night." And verse four is one of my faves....just love those words. Thanks for reminding me to have my hands wide upon so I can receive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Tara! Hands, eyes, heart... all wide open! Love you, friend!

      Delete
  5. I loved this word, my friend. How many times have I been given a gift, but never truly received it? I left it in its packaging rather than opening and embracing and enjoying the gift. You bent my mind a little bit. And it was a good bending. I'm taking your thoughts and pondering them this weekend. Thank you for that, my friend,

    May your Christmas hold much joy, and may you receive His rejoicing over YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah there it is... another word that always stands out to me: Pondering! I will be doing a bit of that this weekend as well, my friend! Let's ponder together! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  6. And I receive joy every time I come here... and read your words... "Let's untie what is bound this Christmas and tear open any boxes that we have limited Him too" Oh yeah!! I'm one of those "rip it open" type of girls so thank you today for THIS gift... I absolutely love it (and plan to wear it well into the New Year)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Tondra! May we all wear Him well in the coming New Year! Bless you, friend! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for these words! We have been the greatest gift but we many times do not receive all that Jesus has to give us. And I love the song "Joy to the World". Merry Christmas friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, my friend! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  8. I love this, Karrilee! Receive is a beautiful word and you unwrapped it in a beautiful way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dianne! Merry Christmas, my friend! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive