October 4, 2016

Praying the Psalms... DAY FOUR of 31 Days of Life Happens... and so We Pray!

Here's the thing about Tuesdays... (for me, anyway!)

They are PACKED FULL!

They didn't used to be... but remember that my OneWord365 this year is Change and well, Tuesdays are no longer as 'Simple' as they used to be (hint: must read book Simply Tuesdays by Emily P. Freeman. You're welcome!) but they ARE blessed!



So when God dropped the full month of 31 Days in my heart, I was relieved to find that He knows this already about me and my Tuesdays and He had us covered!

He said we would be "Praying the Psalms" on Tuesdays this month, and when I prayed and asked which Psalms, because - hello? I can't pick a favorite! - He led me to four psalms for the month of October!

Yeah! Lucky for us, He is super smart and He even knew that every seven days would have a 'theme' of sorts. (I hadn't really put that all together yet!) So He highlighted a Psalm for each Tuesday that would really lean in to the topic of the week!

I'm not sure if, by Day Four, you have clued in to the theme. It hasn't been quite as clear because we needed to do all the introductions first --but this week, we are focusing on our personal relationships with God in prayer.  

So when He led me to Psalm 23, I'll be honest... I sort of questioned Him because - well, everyone knows this psalm, right?

But we are going to read these Psalms in The Passion Translation --which is poetic and wonderful and so full of the love of God! And then, after we have read them... we are going to pray them! So, really, how can we go wrong?

Let's dig in:
The Good Shepherd (David's poetic praise to God!)
"The Lord is my Best Friend and my Shepherd. I always have more than enough. He offers a resting place for me in his luxurious love. His tracks take me to an oasis of peace, the quiet brook of bliss. That's where he restores and revives my life.

He opens before me pathways to God's pleasure, and leads me along in his footsteps of righteousness so that I can bring honor to his name. Lord, even when your path takes me through the valley of deepest darkness, fear will never conquer me, for you already have! You remain close to me and lead me through it all the way. Your authority is my strength and my peace. The comfort of your love takes away my fear. I'll never be lonely, for you are near. You become my delicious feast even when my enemies dare to fight. You anoint me with the fragrance of your Holy Spirit, you give me all I can drink of you until my heart overflows. So why would I fear the future? For I'm being pursued only by your goodness and unfailing love. Then afterwards --when my life is through, I'll return to your glorious presence to be forever with you!"

I know, right?
So romantic! He's just such a good Father!

Now, let's actually pray through this together...

Jesus,

I thank you so much that You are my Best Friend and my Shepherd. You take such amazing care of me... I always have more than enough. Even when it looks like that is not going to happen, somehow - You always work it out for my good!

You consistently offer me a resting place, where I can soak up your luxurious love. Sabbath is a gift! Your trails take me to an oasis of peace, a quiet brook of bliss. It's there, when I am willing to slow and sit with You, that You restore and revive my life. You open before me pathways to God's pleasure, and lead me along in Your footsteps of righteousness so that I can bring honor to Your name. (Lord, help me to bring honor to Your name!)

Father, even when your path takes me through the valley of deepest darkness, fear will never conquer me, for you already have! (I'm adding my own Selah here... seriously... declare that again!) Thank You, Jesus, for remaining close and leading me through it all the way. 

I thank you that Your authority is my strength and my peace. I'm overwhelmed by Your goodness and how the comfort of your love takes away my fear, every. single. time.

I'll never be lonely, for you are near. You keep me company and hold my heart. 

You become my delicious feast even when my enemies dare to fight. I dine on the Word and let it nourish me and help me to grow!

Holy Spirit, thank you for saturating me with your fragrance! Thank You for how you give me all I can drink of you until my heart overflows. May others catch the scent of You all around me!

Lord, why would I fear the future? For You are always with me... surrounding me... covering and leading me! I'm being pursued only by Your goodness and unfailing love. Then afterwards --when my life is through, I'll return to Your glorious presence to be forever with You!

So what is there to fear? In the here and now, You are with me.  And even afterwards... I get to spend eternity with You by my side... fully loving you, and fully being loved!

Amen!

Amen?  So good, right? I hope you prayed that with me!



I'm also linking up with the lovely writer community linked below:

Holly Barrett for #TestimonyTuesday


Kelly Balarie for #RaRaLinkUp

Lori Schumaker for #MomentsofHope

Barbie Swihart for #Glimpsesofhisbeauty
















Jennifer Dukes Lee for #TellHisStory









 Today is Day Four of 31 Days of Life Happens...and so We Pray! If you missed the kick-off and official 'Home page' for this series, you can go HERE and catch up! You will find links for each days' postings, added daily throughout the month. If you'd prefer to have them delivered right to you, I invite you to enter your email address to the right ('Subscribe Here') and subscribe to the blog. That way, once a week, each post is delivered to your inbox in a single email over the weekend and you'll be sure not to miss a thing!

Join me here tomorrow, as I share a little more about how I pray... and how there really is no 'right' and 'wrong' way to do it!

14 comments :

  1. I so needed this today: "Father, even when your path takes me through the valley of deepest darkness, fear will never conquer me, for you already have! (I'm adding my own Selah here... seriously... declare that again!) Thank You, Jesus, for remaining close and leading me through it all the way" - Thank you for this prayer, Karrilee!
    ~ Maryleigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Maryleigh! I'm so glad God led you here... and met you here! Praying with you!

      Delete
  2. So good! Love that translation of Psalm 23 and love your prayer - "fear will never conquer me because you are already there." Yes!! God laid out a good plan for you, Karrilee - thank you for stepping out in faith to share it with us! I'm re-launching my blog today and would love to invite you to come over and celebrate more of God's awesomeness! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really did! He's so much smarter than me! ;) Thanks for stopping by! I already visited your lovely corner of the interwebs! It's beautiful! Congrats, my friend!

      Delete
  3. I love that God pursues us. Oh and fear does not cover us. Indeed...think of the many times in Scripture God tells us "Do not be afraid!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me, both! (And yes... He is pretty clear about not wanting us to be afraid!)

      Delete
  4. The Passion translation? oh my.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, right? So good! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Karrilee,
    Just wonderful! Prayed with you Thank you so much:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I love that! Thanks for stopping by and praying along, Dolly! (I'm looking forward to diving in to your book soon!)

      Delete
  6. Amen. Such comfort in the words of your prayer, Karrilee. I love Psalm 23.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the Lord first led me to it, as I said, I sort of argued with Him because everyone knows Psalm 23... but reading it in the Passion gave it a little freshness! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of the Passion translation. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful! Brian Simmons is working on more of the old testament right now but he has several books translated! The book of Psalms is a must have, in my opinion! ;)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive