October 31, 2016

DAY THIRTY ONE - Closing in Prayer - 31 Days of Life Happens... and so We Pray!


October 31st... We made it all the way through the month and even with all the posting and writing and reading... even with the handful of days when it was more-than-usual hard and I wanted to quit... now that the end is here, well -I'm a little sad!

As I said yesterday, we'll do an actual Wrap Up post later, but today I thought it would be fitting to pray through two portions of Scripture that Jesus actually prayed while He was in flesh and blood on the earth! 

Because what better way to wrap up a series on prayer and on how when Life Happens that should be our Go-To response than to pray Jesus' words and agree with what He laid out and threw down?


This is back when Jesus just couldn't help Himself but to end every message with a mic drop.


You know... He threw down Kingdom Truth like it was His job (--it was!) ...and like it was nobody's business (--they mostly didn't get it!) and He healed and loosed and freed and loved everyone, everywhere!  


But, y'all...
  When He prayed!!!


Oh My!

I can't even with all the feels with the thought of actually, literally, hearing Jesus pray! 

You know how it is... we all have that friend who can throw it down in prayer.  Sometimes they are all loud and passionate and full of declarations and boldness and sometimes they are quiet and intimate and full of longing and blessings and thanksgiving whispered soft. 

So I wanted to end this series on Prayer by, you know, following His lead!  So He led me to two of my favorite prayers in the Word!

Now you know when I say it's two of my favorite portions of NT Scripture... well, it's gonna be good because I don't pick favorites easily!

You can probably guess where we are headed.  We're going to the Gospel of Matthew and of John!

Let's go:

First... we're going to pray The Lord's Prayer.

This is the model Jesus laid out for us to pray. I don't think He meant for us to copy and paste... but this is our example of how we approach our good, good Father!  

Ready? Let's pray...
"Our Father, dwelling in the heavenly realms, may the glory of your name be the center on which our lives turn.
Manifest your kingdom realm, and cause your every purpose to be fulfilled on earth, just as it is fulfilled in heaven.  
Give us today the bread of tomorrow.
Forgive us the wrongs we have done as we ourselves release forgiveness to those who have wronged us.
Rescue us every time we face tribulation and set us free from evil. For you are the King who rules with power and glory forever. Amen."
Amen!

Now, we're going to head on over to John and pray with Jesus, as He prays FOR us! 

(This never gets old, friends... this is His heart for us still!)
"...I ask not only for these disciples, but also for all those who will one day believe in me through their message. (*That's us y'all!)  
I pray for them all to be joined together as one even as you and I, Father, are joined together as one. I pray for them to become one with us, so that the world will recognize that you sent me.
For the very glory you have given to me I have given them so that they will be joined together as one and experience the same unity that we enjoy.  
You live fully in me and now I live fully in them so that they will experience perfect unity and the world will be convinced that you have sent me, for they will see that you love each one of them with the same passionate love that you have for me.
Father, I ask that you allow everyone that you have given to me to reign at our side, for I want them to be where I am!  Then they will see my full glory-- the very splendor you have placed upon me because you have loved me even before the beginning of time.
You are my righteous Father, but the unbelieving world has never known you in the perfect way that I know you! And all those who believe in me also know that you have sent me!
I have revealed to them who you are and I will continue to make you even more real to them, so that they may experience the same endless love that you have for me, for your love will now live in them, even as I live in them!"

Amen!

Don't you just love all those "so that" parts?  
I pray for them to become one with us, so that the world will recognize that you sent me. 
For the very glory you have given to me I have given them so that they will be joined together as one and experience the same unity that we enjoy. 
You live fully in me and now I live fully in them so that they will experience perfect unity and the world will be convinced that you have sent me... 
I have revealed to them who you are and I will continue to make you even more real to them, so that they may experience the same endless love that you have for me...

Have you ever noticed all of those?  I love how Jesus shows us how to pray in the Lord's Prayer... and He lays down such a firm foundation of family.  He starts out not Holy Lord... not Messiah... Not God Almighty... but Our Father... He continues on and shows us we can pray for whatever we need... even though we know God already knows it all.  

And then, as He prays for us... He asks for things, and then tells us why!

Don't you wish God would always tell us why? (Well... maybe not. Sometimes... sometimes we wish that, right?) I love how as Jesus is praying for us, He is showing us how intentional to be in prayer. 

The SO THAT gives us something specific to hold on to. It explains why He is asking that we be one... why we have been given His glory... why He is in us like the Father is in Him... why He continues to make God more and more real to us.  

Did you catch the order of things there? 
The SO THAT goes like this:

We become one with Them ...so that the world will recognize that Father sent the Son. 

We've been given the glory of God ...so that we will be joined together and experience unity.

The Father lives fully in Christ and Christ lives fully in us ...so that in our unity, the world will be convinced that Father sent Jesus.

Jesus continues to make Father even more real to us ...so that we may experience the same endless love that Father has for Christ.

My goal... our goal, the Father and me, --was to stir up in you a habit of prayer so that whenever Life would Happen and chaos would come for you, your automatic response was not to despair in fear... but instead, to declare in faith!

God is good and He longs to have an ongoing conversation with you and yes, while it's true that there is nothing that He doesn't already know... He loves to hear it straight from your heart. He loves to pour out His spirit and draw you closer... for you, yes.  But also SO THAT... the world will be convinced that the Father loves them!

In the end, as always with God, it's all about experiencing His endless love.

 It all comes back to Love!

I've heard it said that
  Jesus is perfect theology.

I hope that even if you have been stretched through out this series... what you have found saturating every post is this... 

When (not If!) Life Happens... turn to prayer.  

Turn to the One who holds all of the heavens and the earth in His hands... to the One who calls Himself the Lover of your soul!



Call out to a good, good Father and talk to your Friend... Ask for what you need, and listen for His response!

He longs to commune with you, to give you wisdom and answers and favor... to heal you and help you and guide you along the way... and always, ALWAYS, He longs to reveal more of his endless love for you.



I'm also linking up with the lovely writer communities linked below:

Kelly Chripczuk  for #SmallWonders 


Holly Barrett for #TestimonyTuesday


Kelly Balarie for #RaRaLinkUp

Lori Schumaker for #MomentsofHope

Jennifer Dukes Lee for #TellHisStory









 Today is Day Thirty One of 31 Days of Life Happens...and so We Pray! If you missed the kick-off and official 'Home page' for this series, you can go HERE and catch up! You will find links for each days' postings, added daily throughout the month. If you'd prefer to have them delivered right to you, I invite you to enter your email address to the right ('Subscribe Here') and subscribe to the blog. That way, once a week, each post is delivered to your inbox in a single email over the weekend and you'll be sure not to miss a thing!

Remember, we are taking a few days off... You're welcome! But we will be back for an official Wrap Up post next week!  If this series impacted you in any way, I'd love to hear about it! Until then, rest well! Thanks for joining me on the journey, sweet readers!

14 comments :

  1. Congratulations on making it through the 31 days extravaganza :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kelly! I'm slowly stepping away from the computer this afternoon for a few days... resting and introverting! ;)

      Delete
  2. YUP, the "real" Lord's Prayer. I love listening to a dramatic reading of it on NT cd's I have. I could listen to it over and over. When Simon was younger, he would listen to it as he fell asleep - he almost had it memorized. LOVE THAT PRAYER. I love that my Jesus sits at the right hand of Father and intercedes on my behalf. How do we even get over that? I can't. I won't. I love Him so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there is no getting over it! Not possible... nor would I want to! xoxo

      Delete
    2. I love that I am sandwiched between two favorites today at Jennifer's. YOU and Joanne Viola!!!

      Delete
  3. It did indeed come back to love. Gods love always wins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen and Amen, sweet friend!

      Delete
  4. The "so thats" have been hidden - until today. I've honestly never noticed them, but goodness! I like what I'm reading and will be diving in further. Thanks for writing and sharing. We're #testimonytuesday neighbors today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kristi! I'm so glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  5. The Lord’s Prayer is still a phenomenal prayer to me, no matter how many times I hear it or say it myself. I’m glad Jesus’ words never have to get old! Congrats on finishing 31 days of writing, Karrilee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just never gets old, does it? Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, girl! You did it! And you did it well! 31 Days! Wow! I'm so humbled ... I just don't think I could EVER do it!
    You know, the Lord's prayer always brings with it comfort. When there is a lack of words. When there simply unity needed in a group. So often, it fills the unknowns with hope. I'm a prayer girl and love some bold Heaven's gates opening type prayer, but yet the Lord's prayer is unlike any other. Thanks so much for blessing me this month and bringing hope to many! I'm thankful you are a part of #MomentsofHope!
    Blessings and smiles,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, my friend, are too kind! (ANd I am still recovering! Had scheduled this afternoon to write my wrap up - but after the past two days ...#Icanteven yet! Soon though! I'll wrap it all up with a bow soon! xoxo

      Delete
  7. You wrapped it up well! Now, take a deep breath.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive