October 8, 2016

DAY EIGHT - Be Specific and Write It Down! 31 Days of Life Happens... and so We Pray!

Oh Saturdays in October are my favorites! I am hoping for a little Sabbath, drenched in glory dripping from trees!

I told y'all last Saturday that these weekend posts would be shorter.  I said that we'd be setting Saturdays aside to wrap up the weeks' theme with a brief post and Sundays would be reserved for a little Listening Prayer! I want to encourage a slower pace over the weekend and make room for a bit of Rest and Refreshing.

This week we dove in to the basics of Prayer (what it is, how to do it, etc.) and our relationship with God in prayer. I wanted to wrap up this week by sharing two simple but crucial transformational tips that make my prayer life meaningful and powerful!

When I first began to pray, it felt often like I was just talking to the ceiling and I wasn't sure I was even doing it right. I didn't have a lot of Scripture to quote or blessings memorized.  I felt silly, if I am honest.

But the more I did it, the more I felt like it was more than just a 'good discipline' of a 'good Christian' but it was investing my heart and time in growing my relationship with Jesus.


Early on, He impressed two things on me that I started doing almost immediately.

The first thing was this: He said, "Be specific!"

When you pray... be specific. The Word says that we have not because we ask not.  And also this: I think often times we pray vaguely and in general and when the answer comes we don't recognize it or give Him credit.  When we pray specific prayers it helps us keep our ears and eyes and spirits tuned in and looking expectantly for the answer!

The second thing was to Write it Down!

I am a journaler... so He really didn't need to tell me this, but I loved when He told me WHY!  I was writing down prayer requests and needs, and I was checking them off one by one as I prayed. As I stated earlier in this series, there is nothing wrong with that but I could feel myself sort of going through the motions when the Lord whispered soft to me, "Do you know WHY I want you to write these down?"

Clearly I had missed the point!

He wants us to write them down so that we have a written record of what we've asked for... it serves as a reminder to keep praying until the answer comes and once the answer arrives - it serves as a testimony to be shared of how our God comes through for us!

The POWER OF TESTIMONY is HUGE!!!

We don't really tap into the power that we've been given as much as we should and when we write things down, re-read them, re-pray them, and add to them once the answer comes --our faith is strengthened and our hope shines brighter.

Do you have a testimony of answered prayer? If so, I'd love to hear it in the comments below!

Come back tomorrow and pray with me!
 (Maybe bring a journal... so you can write it down!)


 Today is Day Eight of 31 Days of Life Happens...and so We Pray! If you missed the kick-off and official 'Home page' for this series, you can go HERE and catch up! You will find links for each days' postings, added daily throughout the month. If you'd prefer to have them delivered right to you, I invite you to enter your email address to the right ('Subscribe Here') and subscribe to the blog. That way, once a week, each post is delivered to your inbox in a single email over the weekend and you'll be sure not to miss a thing!

2 comments :

  1. And that's why I love the Echo prayer app! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly!!! Love that App!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive