September 27, 2016

Shouting Grace! Grace! to our Mountains... a Five Minute Friday post.

How is it already Tuesday, people? Oh my! I opened this post to write on Thursday night but I just never actually sat back down in this chair to tap on these keys! (This is actually a really great thing because this means that we got out of the house and did stuff!) Actually, between a little State Fair fun on Friday, prepping to give the sermon on Saturday, giving the message on Sunday, and introverting on Monday --well, I am finally back in this spot and good news: It seems I will be here a LOT in the next month! More on that later... for now, you know the drill!

This is Five Minute Friday (- a five minute timed free write) and our One Word Prompt is a bit tricky today!  The Word for the day is: FIVE

{GO}

When I saw the prompt, the first thing that came to me was actually about how in the Bible the number five means Grace.

Who doesn't need a little of that, right? 

Who couldn't use a little extra helping both to give and to get?

I thought of how Grace is free, but it cost Jesus everything.

I thought of how we are called to pass it on, to live it out, to be the change.

I prayed about how in this world right now... oh my goodness, how we are lacking grace.

We have rights and we have opinions and we want there to be lines drawn in the sand so that we can more clearly see the us and them.



But Grace calls us to cross over... to reach out... to lift up.

It doesn't matter if we are talking politics or elections (#SweetJesus) or national tragedies, senseless violence, or a race to judge and come to conclusions without waiting for facts to double check.

I am not singling out one thing... mostly because there are oh so many things... and I am not picking one side... because I believe all sides are hurting. 

There are mountains of trouble coming against us... causing division and tossing with reckless abandon words and weapons that wound and kill.

Fear is manifesting in so many ways and doubt and anger and bitterness take root... our emotions feel pushed around and bullied and our sense of justice is bruised at best... but 'gasping for a last breath' feels more accurate.

We need GRACE! 

The Bible says that we need to shout Grace! Grace! to the mountain...
"Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the Lord of hosts...  ‘What are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become a plain; and he will bring forth the top stone with shouts of “Grace, grace to it!”" (Zech 4:7)
It's only by His Spirit and by shouting Grace that we will begin to see these mountains crumble!

Grace is often defined in biblical terms as God's unmerited favor. 

I love how the Amplified Bible describes it in Ephesians 2:8-9 here:
"For it is by grace [God’s remarkable compassion and favor drawing you to Christ] that you have been saved [actually delivered from judgment and given eternal life] through faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [not through your own effort], but it is the [undeserved, gracious] gift of God; not as a result of [your] works [nor your attempts to keep the Law], so that no one will [be able to] boast or take credit in any way [for his salvation].
I don't know about you, but I know for me --it's super easy to forget that Grace was free and that I never did and never could earn it! I think when we lose sight of this simple fact, we begin to draw a line in the sand and make people gather on either side of it!

Us and Them.

Democrats and Repulicans.

Majority and Minority.

But when we remember --and remind ourselves and everyone around us-- that Grace is a gift that is free for all... equally available to anyone and everyone... well, the lines get blown a bit in the wind. 


We find freedom in the gathering together - across lines, across borders, across the great divide that Grace Himself came to bridge the gap across so that we could live, saturated in Grace... in His unmerited favor and His remarkable compassion.

Now who doesn't want to live in a world Kingdom like that?

{STOP}

Wow... well that was not the post I intended to write, but isn't that what we love about Five Minute Fridays?

Let's purpose to share grace... to pass it out for free, since it was so freely given to us! 

Got any 'mountains' in your life? Shout Grace! Grace! and watch and see them crumble to the ground!

Shouting with you,





Linking up with Kate Motaung and the #fmfparty Community today.  Five Minute Fridays gives us the chance to dive right in and share what He puts on our hearts! Click HERE to read what others have to say about: "FIVE"
The FMF lowdown: The gathering happens on Twitter on Thursday nights & then we write our hearts out & hit publish all over the interwebs on Thursday & Friday (& sometimes on Tuesdays!) It's where we encourage & uplift... where we share prayer requests & praise reports... where we talk food & friends & we find support & kindred hearts. It's where we are reminded that life is good & God is good & we're not alone... & then we all write for five minutes flat, a flash mob of wordsmiths letting our hearts & our fingers do the talking tapping & we hit publish before we can second guess it all away. We'd love to have you join us!

I'm also linking up with the lovely writer community linked below:

#FreshMarketFriday... how adorable is that?








Kelly Chripczuk  for #SmallWonders 

Holly Barrett for #TestimonyTuesday


Kelly Balarie for #RaRaLinkUp

Lori Schumaker for #MomentsofHope

Barbie Swihart for #Glimpsesofhisbeauty
















Jennifer Dukes Lee for #TellHisStory










So - lastly, two things:


1. Surely you have heard that the Five Minute Friday community compiled a book of random posts (thank you Susan Shipe!) and all the proceeds go to help two charities in South Africa (because, of course!)  I ordered my copy and can not wait to hold it in my hands! I'm honored to be one of 150 writers taking part in this outreach project! Order a copy for yourself or to give as a gift HERE!


2. I am as surprised as anyone about this but it looks like I am playing along with the #Write31Days writers challenge again this year! I honestly had settled in my heart that I would be sitting it out, but yesterday God dropped the entire month of posts into my heart in a matter of five minutes! (Now... if only it would take just that long to write each one!)  So stay tuned for the new series here in October titled:
31 Days of Life Happens
...and so we pray!

We will dig in to four different topics to cover in prayer: Your relationship with God, Praying for Family/Marriage/Parenting, Praying for Healing, and Praying for the Church!

I can't wait to see what He has to say and how He leads us to pray! I am believing already for amazing testimonies of answers to prayers as we go through this series! I hope you will join me!



16 comments :

  1. Amen to sharing grace! Freely we have received; freely give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Thanks for stopping by Kelly!

      Delete
  2. So much goodness here. Yes and yes, we need grace - to receive and give in measures overflowing. And so excited about the 5 minute Friday book. I miss you all over there, but alas too much life happens here on Thursday nights. And 31 days, you go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey friend! It's always so nice to see you here in my little corner! Amen to Grace - both given and received! Blessings!

      Delete
  3. You got a whole lot into five minutes, sweet Karrilee. And it is all good stuff! I say Amen to the fact that we NEED grace and a lot of it in this time. No matter where we look, we need God's grace. Precious Father, You see the times and they are in Your hands. Rain Your grace upon us as we walk this earth in Your days. Reign over us as we talk with others. May we shed the Light of Christ in these dark, dark places, in these dark days. May You rein us in under Your shelter and may we walk in obedience to You. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and Amen! I agree with that prayer! Let is be so, Lord! xoxo

      Delete
  4. hi brandee:) i'm your next door neighbor at FMF. yes, i was out of town. i had most of the post written, i just spent more of my time enjoying my daughters rather than writing. now i have the time to do the writing. nice post:) i think we've met b/f...every so often. one of our daughters lives in the PNW...seattle area:) we get out there a couple of times a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love our city and the PNW area! We are quite spoiled out here! Happy to have you stop by, Martha! You are welcome here any time!

      Delete
  5. I had no idea that grace means "five." So much THIS: "We find freedom in the gathering together - across lines, across borders, across the great divide that Grace Himself came to bridge the gap across so that we could live, saturated in Grace... in His unmerited favor and His remarkable compassion." I'm so excited you're playing along in October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love that description of Grace? Unmerited favor is somewhat familiar to us I think... but remarkable compassion... YES!!! (I'm excited I am playing along too... tired and a little nervous that I am not on top of it... but excited as well!)

      Delete
  6. "Grace calls us to cross over" is such a perfect picture for me Karrilee! Both in what God has done for me and what the expectation is that I will do for others. It is an act of deep, compassionate love. Thanks for this today friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so simple - in theory, right? Grace calls us to cross over... if only it was just that easy! But it should be... it CAN be, as long as we are following His lead! Thanks for stopping by, friend!

      Delete
  7. "I don't know about you, but I know for me --it's super easy to forget that Grace was free and that I never did and never could earn it!" This! Shame on me for being so stingy to give grace when it was given so freely to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Only no shame! We are not into shame... but we are into inviting God to lovingly remind us of this truth whenever we are tempted to withhold grace or try to make someone earn it! Love you, friend! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Such a good word, Karrilee!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive