October 19, 2015

31 Days of Truths We Know... Who are you, really? - DAY NINETEEN

Oh, Identity!
This is another one of my favorite messages!  

You won't be able to gather around here for long before I accidentally slip up onto my soapbox and get just a little of my preach on! 

Knowing who (and Whose) you are is vital... it takes time, but it is you are so worth the investment!


At the Bible study I am attending, one of the leaders was sharing about identity and in passing she said something that struck a chord. If you hang out around here at all, you will know why!

She said,
"The foundation of who He is is that He's a good, good father.  
The foundation of our identity is that we are loved by Him."

At the core of our identity... at the very center of who we are lies this truth:

We are loved. We are His.

I think we have only grabbed hold of half of this Identity message.  

We know that we're supposed to identify with Christ, sure. But I believe we are also supposed to identify with the person He made us to be.  

We have been grafted in and we carry within us the very DNA of God... but we also carry within us something that no one else on earth carries!

No one can bring to the table what you have to offer! No one. No not one.

I can't say it enough, --how vital it is to know True Identity – His and Ours.

The Scriptures tell us who He is and who He says that we are. 

At the very core of who I am is His! I am His! When I begin to grasp this is true no matter what, I begin to catch hold of His idea of who He made me to be.  I begin to realize and see that other than the title of His, I am not the titles assigned to me.  At least that is not all that I am!

It's not so much about what I DO that gets to tell me who I am!  No. Who I am is more about the Being He created within me... my strengths and giftings, my personality and passions... He is the One who formed and fashioned me from the very, very beginning and He knows me - at every stage of life and living. He knows you, too! He knows when we are our most authentic selves, and He desires that each of us would live more and more in line with that.

I believe the key to finding your true authentic self starts with the great exchange... your life for His... your thoughts (about you - specifically) for His. When we begin to renew our minds and take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, well - we begin to see and think and speak and act differently --more in line with who He made us to be! 

I remember hearing someone say that they can't afford to have a thought about themselves that God doesn't think about them! That is a huge statement, and if you are like me, that will cause your breath to catch a bit because --how often do I think things about myself that I know God would never think or say about me? (More often than I care to admit!)

Laying down your life and your own limitations in who you think you are is the fastest and surest way to find the life He intended for you to live! This is at the very heart of self-care, which is another way for you to truly get to know yourself and to allow Him access to build you up and set you free from the heaviness and burdens of wearing masks!

I've said it before, but there is a difference between self-confidence and God-confidence. I believe God is raising up a generation who know and live the difference!

Knowing your true identity will not only give you purpose, it will increase trust, stir up creativity, release hope, help you be brave and fully live the abundant life that He offers! 

I remember being at a Bible study awhile ago and we were discussing Humility when one of the ladies shared how true humility is having the courage to actually BE who God created us to be!

I believe He wants us to know that He loves everything about us. All of our little quirks and our unique personalities... our individuality and character. He loves our sense of humor and the way we cry... He loves our style - not what is dictated to us in fashion magazines or on billboards, but how we put together an outfit or a meal or a sentence and how it just oozes our own personal style.

He loves how we create art... with our hands and words, our voices and hearts, yes - but also how we create art with our forgiveness, our willingness to take a risk, with how we love and how even sometimes doing ANY or ALL of those things still cause us to sweat and shake a lot little --but we are learning to do them anyway! 

It's God's desire that we step in to who He created us to be... that we would quit entertaining our regrets and reliving past failures... that we would give up comparing and competing, for the love! His heart is for us to know Him, and to know how He has gifted and shaped us so that we could be about our Father's business of releasing and expanding the Kingdom!

When you take the time and invest in getting to know yourself --the real you, not the one you put on - but who you really are down deep, you will begin to learn and discover ways He has gifted you from your beginning.  When you know what makes you happy, what feeds your soul, what brings you joy... you are more than willing to share that!

In our culture, it may seem easier to let others tell us who or what we are.  We may doubt or fear our own hopes and dreams, unsure if they are God-given or made up. But it's in learning who we are that we clearly see who He is in us... and how He desires to partner with us and have us let Him out... to let Him shine and speak and love through us, --through the one and only us!

For He made us on purpose, with purpose... 

It's just that sometimes we forget!








 Today is Day Nineteen of 31 Days of Truths We Know...! If you missed the kick-off and official 'Home page' for this series, you can go HERE and catch up! You will find links for each days' postings, added daily throughout the month. If you'd prefer to have them delivered right to you, I invite you to enter your email address to the right ('Subscribe Here') and subscribe to the blog. That way, once a week, each post is delivered to your inbox in a single email over the weekend and you'll be sure not to miss a thing!

P.S.  I'm linking up with these lovely writers:

The Community over at #SmallWonders 

Laura Boggess over at #ChasingTheBlueFlower












Tomorrow we will talk a bit more about Vulnerability and living an Authentic Life. I hope you come back and join in!

18 comments :

  1. Oh man, this message has been put in front of me over and over and over today! That we are worthy and like you said, he loves everything about us! "It's God's desire that we step in to who He created us to be... that we would quit entertaining our regrets and reliving past failures... that we would give up comparing and competing, for the love! His heart is for us to know Him, and to know how He has gifted and shaped us so that we could be about our Father's business of releasing and expanding the Kingdom!" LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Melissa! I love it when God gets something to us by putting it in front of us over and over and over... just to be sure that we get it! xoxo

      Delete
  2. As Melissa states, God is speaking!!! At Allume on stage was a worship artist painting - I thought of you every evening. I didn't have a camera and am hoping that Holly or Mary G got a photo for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man... that does my heart all kinds of good! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Love this, Karrilee! We could not agree with you more. One thing that helped me to fully grasp this is that we are His workmanship (some versions say masterpiece), but in the Greek, it's "poema". THAT took my breath away. I am His poem, His song. (Which is even more awesome because my name is Carrie, which is derivative of Carole (French for melody or song).

    Mind. Blown.

    Found ya from the #SmallWonder linkup, and I think we'll be sticking around for more ;-)

    XOXO,

    Carrie and Chanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes - Eph 2:10... that is our family life verse! I LOVE that we are God's Poem!!! It's just so dreamy and romantic! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Something clicked in my mind as I was reading your words: the foundation of true humility is this trust and this conviction that our very identity is tied up in God. We are utterly and completely His creation, He glories in us, and we bring glory to Him when we rest in that!
    Thanks for your words today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are His... isn't that just the best truth to hang on to? Yesterday at church, we were singing a song that has a line that cries out, "Show us your glory!" and I saw God show me standing in front of a mirror! We are His glory... the hope of glory is IN us... isn't that amazing?

      Delete
  5. Beautiful, Beautiful!!! So much THIS: "He loves how we create art... with our hands and words, our voices and hearts, yes - but also how we create art with our forgiveness, our willingness to take a risk, with how we love and how even sometimes doing ANY or ALL of those things still cause us to sweat and shake a lot little --but we are learning to do them anyway!" I truly know who and whose I am but like you I sometimes forget. I call myself things that God would NEVER EVER call me. I am...we are...all indeed made on purpose with a purpose. Love who you are my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? That one sentence has helped keep me from a downward spiral when I begin to entertain thoughts that God would never ever say about me! xoxo Love who you are right back!

      Delete
  6. Such an important reminder, Karrilee. I hope these 31 days are treating you well! The book, Abba's Child by Brennan Manning really made the truth of my identity sink in, it's one I return to every few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you just so excited for the new (authorized) movie coming out about Brennan? I quoted him yesterday at church during prayer time and today - fyi - you can get his All is Grace for FREE on the Kindle! I have read it - but like you... revisiting anything by Manning is always a great idea!

      Delete
  7. Preach it! I loved this: "I begin to realize and see that other than the title of His, I am not the titles assigned to me." This is something I've had to learn over and over again. Thanks for sharing truth with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too, Leslie! Me too! It's so easy to put on titles... but we are called to put on Christ! xoxo

      Delete
  8. Really beautiful. How can we feel worthless when we are His so completely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. on-my-knees stunned at the message from God that you helped to bring to me today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!!! I love this comment, and this work that He is doing in you, oh so much!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive