October 7, 2015

31 Days of Truths We Know... Hold On Loosely - DAY SEVEN


Yesterday I was honored to have a Guest Post by my friend Erika Morrison for the launch of her new (amazing!) book, Bandersnatch

On Monday, we talked about choosing to trust, even when we cannot see... and often our lack of trust (or abundance of doubt) is due to the fact that sometimes our plans and His plans don't quite line up!

That brings us to our Truth for today:

PLANS:
We Can Make 'Em...
But Hold On Loosely,
And Be Willing To Let Go!

Because sometimes we forget
that our plans and His plans
aren't always the same!


I am a planner. I love a color-coded calendar. Back in the day, I used to be organized too, but you just have to let some things go as you age. Or maybe that was just me?  Still, a full schedule and a season mapped out gives me a (false) sense of peace. 

I love it. 

I even pray about it most (read: some) of the time... and have learned to write things down in pencil, because --you know, God!

I used to be extremely in charge, or so it would have appeared. 

I had plans y'all, and everyone knew it! 

And I'm not even saying that was bad or that the plans were wrong. I'm just saying that now, I have learned to make plans loosely... to leave myself (and most importantly, the Lord) a little wiggle room.

Plans Change... and it does us well to keep that in mind and to learn to be okay with that.


Some of the hardest seasons in my life have been when I resisted change and held fast to the plans I had made... the dreams I had dreamt up and felt I had Gods' stamp of approval on, but for whatever reason they were not coming true.

Some of the best seasons in my life have been when something unexpected happened and I quickly embraced it and saw that it was God.

But it's those in between seasons, right?

The ones where we aren't really sure if it is God... or why it is or isn't happening the way we envisioned it. 

It's the times when we have done all the heavy lifting and hard ground work, and despite all of our best efforts, everything seems to implode anyway!

I don't know about you... but for me, in those times, the temptation is to either:

...save face ("That's totally what I planned on happening!" --but I am dizzy with confusion.) 

...backtrack ("Oh, I wasn't sure about it anyway... it's fine!" --Only it's not.) 

...or to want to demand a Why, or When, or How kind of answer from God ("I thought we were in this together, God? Why isn't this happening? When/How are you going to make my plans still work out fix this?" --this is usually where I am completely mature and give God the silent treatment. Because I'm a grown up like that.)

I remember as a young Christian, being about mid-rant with God asking those accusatory questions when He just spoke directly to my huffed up heart and said, "Hey sweetie... I don't answer to you."

Well then...

If I'm honest (and I am definitely that here...) I can get my feelings hurt when God doesn't do what I want.

I know, right? It sounds so immature and spoiled and bad when you just type it out like that, but it's true!

Sometimes I assume we have partnered together in all of the making of my plans, but that is not always the case.  And as much as I joke around about God being bossy with me, He really does prefer not to have to boss me around! He really does want us to partner with Him, to come to a decision together, in unity.

I think He has gone along with some of my plans even if they weren't His idea.  He's good like that! He loves the give and take... He doesn't often insist on His way but even that is not always what I want! Sometimes I wish He would... sometimes I wish He would boss me around and just tell me what to do already!

But we have a King who rules His Kingdom alongside us.  He let's us make plans and sometimes He goes along with them. But sometimes He has something better in mind - even if it doesn't feel or look better at the time!  Sometimes His plans are different, and sometimes they are bigger than we would have dared to dream.

Here's the thing about a God who sees all and who will, in the end, have His way:

His perspective is so much greater and His plans are not always (read:almost never) all about us! 

He is the ultimate Multi-tasker when it comes to my plans and your plans and His plans and oh how He weaves them all together to make something beautiful out of all our scribbles, failed attempts, and wadded up papers!

When I begin to see that my plans are not working out... or I am finding it really hard to make plans at all, I know it's time to remind myself that I am not in charge.

As much as some days we may want to be in charge, there should be So. Much. Freedom. in knowing that it (whatever 'it' is for you) is not all up to us!

I run back to Him and hold out my plans and lift up my hands and I invite Him back in to show me... not to demand an answer, but to ask Him to show me how these apparent changes in my plans can be used to meet up with His plans after all!

"Commit your works to the Lord And your plans will be established."  (Proverbs 16:3 NASB)

 "The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps."  (Proverbs 16:9 NASB)

"Many plans are in a man’s heart, But the counsel of the Lord will stand."  (Proverbs 19:21 NASB)
We can lean in and make the best of plans, with the purest of hearts and still - those plans may not work out. 

But we get to believe that His plans are greater because, as it turns out, we are not the ones in charge anyway!

...It's just that Sometimes We Forget!








 Today is Day SEVEN of 31 Days of Truths We Know...! If you missed the kick-off and official 'Home page' for this series, you can go HERE and catch up! You will find links for each days' postings, added daily throughout the month. If you'd prefer to have them delivered right to you, I invite you to enter your email address to the right ('Subscribe Here') and subscribe to the blog. That way, once a week, each post is delivered to your inbox in a single email over the weekend and you'll be sure not to miss a thing!

P.S.  I'm linking up with these lovely writers:
JENNIFER DUKES LEE FOR #TELLHISSTORY


















HOLLEY GERTH FOR #COFFEEFORYOURHEART


18 comments :

  1. Thank you for this post. It is EXACTLY what I needed to be reminded of today. Have a blessed one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so glad! He's pretty smart like that! So happy you stopped by!

      Delete
  2. It's comforting to know that when things don't go as we plan that maybe it's because He has something even better in store! Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen... and always, really, right? He always has something better in store!

      Delete
  3. Those are 3 great verses from Proverbs ... great reminder to let God lead & to trust Him in all things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with verses from Proverbs, right? Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Oh friend, this is one that I forget OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!! THIS: "But it's those in between seasons, right? The ones where we aren't really sure if it is God... or why it is or isn't happening the way we envisioned it." Yep totally wondering that. But you're so right...God has a plan for ME and YOU and all of us and often that plan is so much better than what I envisioned for myself. And THIS (I need to remember this promise every day!) "He is the ultimate Multi-tasker when it comes to my plans and your plans and His plans and oh how He weaves them all together to make something beautiful out of all our scribbles, failed attempts, and wadded up papers!" YEP!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? When MY plans don't work out - He can redeem them - but always, He is at work multi-tasking to bring them all together in His timing... so glad you stopped by, friend! (And glad to know I am not alone!)

      Delete
  5. Encouraging words, thank you! I'm new to your blog, but I'm in the middle of a fairly huge family transition. We are making lots of plans, wondering about some of them and walking by faith and not by sight. It's been exciting but also with loads of opportunities for worry and anxiety, so thanks for these words of truth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Devi... those huge transitions can be exciting and terrifying at the same time! Praying for you and yours during all the changes! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. God's plans are always greater, bigger and more amazing than anything we could dream up. I have also learned that going with God's flow is the best place to be and change will happen whether we have planned for it or not! (Did that make sense?) Good words my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes complete sense! ;) I have learned that too... (it's just that sometimes I forget! ;) LOL!)

      Delete
  7. Oh, I needed this reminder today! I'm full of plans, and I get a little testy when things don't turn out my way. Thank you for the reality check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Oh you and me both, my friend! You and me, both!

      Delete
  8. So much truth here in what you wrote, Karrilee. I'm glad we were neighbors at Jen's and Holley's too! Blessings to you as you lift your plans to Him and seek His heart! I know you made his heart sing in this post... Pam, apples of gold, http://wordglow.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, Pam! So glad you stopped on over!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how God works in His way... I JUST finished writing tomorrow's FMF post on Trust and then came over here.... you pretty much wrote the expanded version of my five minutes. Very well expanded. :) And I'm glad you're calling it like it is. He's so much bigger than our wildest dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just sitting down this morning to write the fmf prompt and Oh my goodness, I already did it! ;) Will have to just set the timer and see what happens! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive