October 8, 2015

31 Days of Truths We Know... Desires of Your Heart - Day EIGHT


Aaah yes... the best laid plans. 

Yesterday we talked about how even those are subject to change. They too bow down in the Presence of the Lord and sometimes, despite our best efforts and most heart-wrenching prayers... they still don't work out.

But Jesus told us, right? He said that in this world, we would have trouble. He pretty much promised us that things won't always go our way.  I can muster up a bit of adulting when this happens most of the time. I mean, I'm not spoiled... But sometimes I get pushed around... knocked off center and I feel the full weight of disappointment of plans and dreams that don't work out.  It is in those times, that I want to remind Him of His Word... (--which, by the way, I think is a really, really, really great practice! For real!) 

I want to taunt Him a bit with Psalm 37.  It's always one of the first ones that come to mind...

Come on... I know you know it...

"Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:4 NASB)
I'm usually all like, "What's up with that, Lord? The desires of my heart, huh? It sure doesn't feel like this is true!"

He is usually pretty loving in how He reminds me to look at the first part of that verse; to just go there and camp out and do that some more... do more of delighting myself in the Lord and maybe less jumping ahead of His timing or will, and maybe stop making plans without asking Him first.

He's not so fond of the Do First, Ask Second trick. 
He's on to us with that one, you guys!


I remember being a bit heartbroken for a season. He seemed to open doors for me, only to slam them shut before I had the chance to walk through. I was confused and thought for sure it was His hand I saw extended to me.  So I spent some time rebuking the enemy and demanding His my way. 

When that didn't work, and didn't bring me any peace, I whined inquired of the Lord about it and asked Him about Psalm 37. I mean... that seems like a really great promise... and a little like a deal! Like, I agree to delight in Him and then He agrees to give me whatever I want, right?

Sweet! I mean... He's pretty amazing... so delighting in Him is not that hard! I felt like I got the bargain end there.

Then this is what He whispered to my wondering heart:
I will give you the desires of your heart, when you remember that your heart is Mine!


I tend to take it back... protect it a bit and build up a few walls... I tend to think I've got this on my own. I can do it. And honestly, independence is great... He doesn't want us to stay wounded and needy... He is looking for a bold and beautiful Bride - spotless and pure.

He whispers truth to me and then I remember that, years ago, I gave Him my heart.  It's His to do with what He wants... He gives me the desires of my heart, when my heart is His - wholly and completely.  When I remember that He holds my heart, and our heart is united and one... well, then I begin to remember Kingdom ways and what brings pleasure to my King.

Oh right... there is that!  
He is my desire. 
HIM!  
And He freely gives Himself to all who ask... to all who seek... to all who invited Him in!

I look back to that season now and Oh My Goodness, I am so thankful that those doors closed.  There was a long season that 'thankful' was not the word I would choose.

But hindsight, you know...

On this side of things, I can see the trouble I could have gotten into... the paths that could have led me on a journey that I wasn't meant to take. 

We're not always blessed with that kind of clarity though.
Sometimes we look back still confused, or we are looking forward still waiting and longing for a desire or two... and it's fuzzy and seems unfair. 

I have a few of those things, too.  

In those situations, I think we pray... we remind Him of His Word... we invite Him to come alongside us and plan and dream together... and we remember to choose to trust Him... and to delight ourselves in Him. We remember that above all else, HE is the Desire of our hearts!

We hold fast to His Word and remember that He will give us the desires of our heart, when we give our hearts to Him!

They are His anyway... we gave them to him long ago...

It's just that Sometimes We Forget!








 Today is Day EIGHT of 31 Days of Truths We Know...! If you missed the kick-off and official 'Home page' for this series, you can go HERE and catch up! You will find links for each days' postings, added daily throughout the month. If you'd prefer to have them delivered right to you, I invite you to enter your email address to the right ('Subscribe Here') and subscribe to the blog. That way, once a week, each post is delivered to your inbox in a single email over the weekend and you'll be sure not to miss a thing!


Tomorrow we will be attempting to write another Five Minute Friday post, using the One Word Prompt (given Thursday night) and then next week we will begin to tackle some simple little things like Grace and  Mercy and Forgiveness - for me, and for you!

12 comments :

  1. Yes, I have played the same games with God. Love this reminder. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think He secretly loves it when we remind Him of His Word and His Promises! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I think this is so important! I know for me, once I get past surface or even distorted desires, I get to the deep desires underneath. And those are usually the ones God has put in me and ones that he can meet (to be known and seen, to have purpose, to be connected to something larger than myself, for beauty and creativity....well I could go on and on, this is something I think a lot about!) Thanks for your words on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes!!! When we delight ourselves in Him... it's His great pleasure to give us the desires of our heart!

      Delete
  3. Oh friend, I feel like this post was written FOR ME! I love that Psalm but I have such a hard time remembering that last half of the verse as you pointed out here. I think it is because of THIS especially: "We're not always blessed with that kind of clarity though. Sometimes we look back still confused, or we are looking forward still waiting and longing for a desire or two... and it's fuzzy and seems unfair." Because, my friend, I know that he has had my heart for a long time and I have His, but there are days that it seems so so so unfair! Thank you for reminding me that my desires might not be His desires for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's His great pleasure to give us the desires of our hearts and I hate that so often we have to wait for what seems like forever... but in the waiting, if we remember to delight ourselves in Him... well - i think it makes the process, maybe not easier --but definitely more fruitful! xoxo

      Delete
  4. On this side of things, I can see the trouble I could have gotten into... the paths that could have led me on a journey that I wasn't meant to take. = the story of my life. Thank You, Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Exactly it! Amen and Amen!

      Delete
  5. Oh he does ask for our hearts first, doesn't he? He delights in us for sure but we need to remember that He desires to be in relationship with us always. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Thanks so much for stopping by Mary!

      Delete
  6. Such poignant words! Our hearts isn't for us to take back from the Lord whenever we feel a new desire welling up inside. I pray we would grow in giving of our hearts more ad more each day, in little and big ways...and increasingly delight in Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and Amen! I come in agreement with that prayer, my friend!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive