October 2, 2015

31 Days of Truths We Know... DAY TWO -- FAMILY - a Five Minute Friday Post


I missed out on most of the Twitter party last night because --well, wait for it...

This is Five Minute Friday (- a five minute timed free write) and our One Word Prompt for the day is: FAMILY


{GO}

I missed out on the party last night over on Twitter because... well... Family!

My girlie texted to let me know she was headed over to hang out and as much as I love community and friends... she trumps y'all. Hands down. Every time. No apologies.

When I first saw the prompt, to be honest, I was all, "You're killin' me, smalls!" because here's the thing: I knew I would get here... talking about Family... at some point during this series, 31 Days of Truths We Know, it's just that Sometimes We Forget! Actually, Family is really in every post...

Family starts out small... with the one you were born into... but it grows and expands and oh my goodness, how we were MADE to be family... to love and to honor... to hold up and hold close. We were made to need each other... to push and stretch each other. We were made to stand up for, to come alongside, and yes --even to, at times, drive each other crazy! It's how we grow and love deeper, truer, ...more like Jesus!


Family was God's idea... God Himself is Family... Three in One... and He grafts us in and adopts us as His own. He is a good, good Father and He is our example of how it's done.

Is there brokenness?
  Oh yeah...

Are there hurt feelings and poor choices...
Are there words and decisions and rocky paths
thrown, chosen and barrelled on down?
  You bet.

But always, at the end of wherever you run or whatever you do...there is the Prodigal Father... and He runs to you. He runs to me.

Always... Family wins
because Love Wins!



Sometimes it is just no contest, and love wins easily and without a fight

But other times love wins by sheer determination... by laying oneself down... by pouring oneself out... 

Sometimes love wins and it feels a bit like dying to self and a bit like letting go of dreams and hopes... sometimes it happens like that again and again and again... 

But always, always... when we follow His lead and we extend grace and love anyway... when we let Him have His way in our hearts and our homes... always (you know, eventually!) ...
Love wins...
  ...It's just that Sometimes We Forget!



{STOP}

Here's to praying that every FMF Word Prompt fits this nicely into the series this month!  

What about you? What are your thoughts on Family?

Whether it is a 'good' season, or a trying one... one thing that never changes for us is this: We are for Family... we are thankful for it --for them... and we will fight.  

Sometimes fighting for family means taking a stand and speaking out loud... and sometimes it means laying it down, and holding your tongue.  Always it means we choose His ways and His will above our own... it means we offer grace... and we continue to:




Linking up with Kate Motaung and the #fmfparty Community today.  Five Minute Fridays gives us the chance to dive right in and share what He puts on our hearts! Click here to read what others have to say about "FAMILY"

The FMF lowdown: The gathering happens on Twitter on Thursday nights & then we write our hearts out & hit publish all over the interwebs on Thursday & Friday (& sometimes on Tuesdays!) It's where we encourage & uplift... where we share prayer requests & praise reports... where we talk food & friends & we find support & kindred hearts. It's where we are reminded that life is good & God is good & we're not alone... & then we all write for five minutes flat, a flash mob of wordsmiths letting our hearts & our fingers do the talking tapping & we hit publish before we can second guess it all away. 


We'd love to have you join us!


 Today is Day Two of 31 Days of Truths We Know...! If you missed the kick-off and official 'Home page' for this series, you can go HERE and catch up! You will find links for each days' postings, added daily throughout the month. If you'd prefer to have them delivered right to you, I invite you to enter your email address to the right ('Subscribe Here') and subscribe to the blog. That way, once a week, each post is delivered to your inbox in a single email over the weekend and you'll be sure not to miss a thing!

Also... because we are all family... we pray for and with and grieve for and with the small community in Roseburg, OR today. Come Lord Jesus! Come. For the King and His Kingdom, we stand!

18 comments :

  1. THIS: "Family was God's idea... God Himself is Family... Three in One... and He grafts us in and adopts us as His own. He is a good, good Father and He is our example of how it's done."
    Amen!! And that last sentence YES!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and Amen, my friend! He IS a Good, Good Father... and such an amazing example!

      Delete
  2. My family means the world to me--and it just keeps growing even though we stopped at two ;). And yes, family is certainly God's idea :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes - we stopped at one... but God's family is always growing and we are always adding to our numbers! ;) Thanks for stopping by, friend!

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, you've got that right - when the kids call (and we both get this, because we're empty nesters), we drop everything for time with them! Good words here today, Karrilee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes - as empty nesters, you learn very quickly to treasure any time they make for you, right? So thankful you are here, Ruthie!

      Delete
  4. Love wins! Yes! I enjoyed this post (visiting from FMF) I feel so grateful for the family I was born into, the one I married into, and the one I birthed. I am also now enjoying adding to it with a son-in-law and his family. We say if your child marries our child we're family. Family was one of God's best ideas : ) I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Joyce! Family is so much more than flesh and blood! I agree... it really was one of God's best ideas... one of His best visual aids to teach us how to live in community like Him!

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a good visit last night - nothing, no one beats family. The one pic, are they your sisters? You look great in that photo too btw!!! Family did not fit at all last night, so I opted to not post. This Proverbs is turning into a great big pair of God's pruning shears - and I thought it would be easy. HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it was a good visit... just relaxed and hung out but it's always a gift that we try not to take for granted! Yes... that pics is of me and my sisters! It was taken a couple of years ago but it's one of my favorites! I have been praying for you because as much as I love both Proverbs AND 31 Days... individually they are both hard... good, but hard! So it's not really a surprise... ;)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you got to hang with your girlie! You're right, she trumps us all right. Your pics are beautiful and I was going to ask the same question as Susan about the women with you...

    Family for me has always been complicated, child of divorce, stepkid x2, stepparent, second marriage, crazy-making. But oh my WORD, SO MUCH LOVE. And some of the best moments of love have been in those laying-down-self, poured-out moments you mention.

    Some of my best family has been not related to me by blood or law but by the heart.

    I am so thankful to our Father that LOVE WINS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... the hard truth is really that Family is not always a blessing... and it is most often the place and the people who have the potential to hurt us the deepest... still, even in that - I believe love wins! It's not easy... but it is right. And Amen to a growing family that is not limited to only flesh and blood! Thanks so much for stopping by Shelby!

      Delete
  7. Ideal family is about love. It is wonderful that as Christians we have our immediate family then we have our Christian family. Love wins. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen... I am so thankful for my own family - but also for the one that is ever growing and increasing! Thanks so much for stopping by Mary!

      Delete
  8. Oh gosh, Karrilee, what a beautiful post celebrating family. You are so right...we were created to be family. I had never thought of God as family...three in One. How cool. So glad I popped in from #fmfparty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you popped over, too! (I was so pleased that the One Word fit nicely in with my #write31days series --even if writing about Family was a bit sooner than I planned!) ;)

      Delete
  9. Great post, love that family is God's idea.. He knows we can't make it through this world on our own without our biological family as well as our spiritual one. God bless my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Tobi! He's pretty smart like that! ;)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive