October 12, 2015

31 Days of Truths We Know... DAY TWELVE - Forgiveness For Us All!


Ah, Forgiveness!

Our Truth for today is Forgiveness and we're going to attempt to keep this to a single (short-ish) post, but we could do a whole series on it because --well, because it's a big ol' deal, y'all!

We're going to talk about how we know that we've been forgiven, but we don't always live like that is true...

We know that
He Offers Forgiveness
& We Are Forgiven...
...it's just that
Sometimes We Forget!


So there are two aspects of Forgiveness:
The part where we receive it in for us, and the part where we offer it out for others. 

We forget to live like it's true for both parts!
I know it has been argued said for many things like Forgiveness and Grace, that it is free but it cost Jesus everything. 

I believe that is true. 

I believe that He did all that needs to be done and freely pours out Grace (our topic tomorrow!) and offers us forgiveness. 

As I prayed this morning and asked Him what He wanted you to know about forgiveness (I know, right? What a good idea!) 

--He quickly spoke to my spirit:
I want them to know --to remember-- that Forgiveness is a Gift! That I freely give it... I poured out willingly because it is a gift I long to give to them! But more than that, I long for them to open the gift, to fully receive it, and let it become a part of who they are! For I created them to be forgiven and free!

Wow.  I feel like that is really enough. 

I mean - how can you add to that? 

THAT is what we forget, right? That we are forgiven and free... because that is how and who He created us to be!

That right there, my friends, is Good News!

I think we can know in our minds that we are forgiven, but our muscle memory tries to convince us that we are still sinners... still stuck and bound up and tied down to sin and failure.  

The enemy is a liar and oh my how he is good at his job. One of his most successful tools is to remind us of our pasts... (or of others' pasts! Come on now. You know what I'm talking about!

But the Truth that we forget is that Jesus paid it all, and that He created us to be free and forgiven... to have nothing that gets in between us and Him!



Here's the thing: Repentance is real and necessary and part of how we fully step in to being forgiven and free... a part we can. not. skip. There is something to the 'keep your list short' practice of staying close to God.

But here's the other deal: Once we do that... it's done!

I don't know about you, but for me? Well - I tend to fall for the lies of the accuser and begin to believe his shpeel and forget the truth... Something about remembering my sins no more... something about as far as the east is from the west... 
"And their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more."    Hebrews 10:17 NASB
"As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us." Ps 103:12 NASB 
Yes... I forget that for me... and I forget that that is true for you, too! For you who have hurt me... who have sinned... who have failed and fallen short. I forget that when I repent, and when you repent... it is wasted time to try to remind the Lord of our sins.  He wastes no time focused on them, so why should we?

No... apparently, what He focuses on is more like this:
"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery." Galatians 5:1 NASB
I think Freedom and Forgiveness are intertwined and so closely connected. 

It is for freedom that we've been set free... and when we are free, we can live like we are forgiven... 

Because we are...

  It's just that Sometimes We Forget!








 Today is Day Twelve of 31 Days of Truths We Know...! If you missed the kick-off and official 'Home page' for this series, you can go HERE and catch up! You will find links for each days' postings, added daily throughout the month. If you'd prefer to have them delivered right to you, I invite you to enter your email address to the right ('Subscribe Here') and subscribe to the blog. That way, once a week, each post is delivered to your inbox in a single email over the weekend and you'll be sure not to miss a thing!

P.S.  I'm linking up with these lovely writers:

The Community over at #SmallWonders 

Laura Boggess over at #ChasingTheBlueFlower

Tomorrow we will dig in to Grace... It's one of my favorite topics, but I will attempt to keep it limited to just one or two days! I hope you join me!

24 comments :

  1. Such a great reminder. We are free because we are forgiven. We just have to live it out in our lives. like you said easier said then done. Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mary! It takes practice... and lots of grace!

      Delete
  2. I think we often spend so much time on forgiving others, but at our core don't believe that God has wiped our slate clean. This was a great reminder for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, friend, you spoke to my heart today. I am carrying the weight (and it's manifesting literally in pounds!) of sins I haven't forgiven myself for. I find myself asking God to forgive me for stuff He's long since cast away. THANK YOU for the reminder that I don't need to do that. Jesus paid it all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet friend... know that you are forgiven! Jesus paid it all... there is no need to remind Him of what is covered in Blood and washed clean already!

      Delete
  4. THIS: "It is for freedom that we've been set free... and when we are free, we can live like we are forgiven... but sometimes we just forget." Yep! Forgiveness is such an incredible gift. I am reminded of a time when an aquaintance embezzled money from an organization. Many of us were so ANGRY, but his neighbors invited him and his wife over for supper. They wanted him to know he was forgiven. It was a powerful reminder of forgiveness. Like you said, "Repentance is real and necessary and part of how we fully step in to being forgiven and free... a part we can. not. skip. There is something to the 'keep your list short' practice of staying close to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we are free... we can live like we are forgiven! Now - if I can just remember that! ;)

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful, Karrilee! You're right: I often forget this elementary truth, but there's such joy in remembering it! When I consider God's forgiveness, the magnitude of it and just how wonderful it is, how can I have a bad day? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (and how can we withhold forgiveness to anyone else?) xoxo

      Delete
  6. Freedom and forgiveness---yes, thanks for making that connection. They are definitely intertwined. Love that truth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that good? I can't take credit... it was totally God - but I will remember it the next time I am living less free than I should be! It will cause me to search for any unforgiveness in my heart - for myself, or towards others! Thanks so much for stopping by, Lisa!

      Delete
  7. YES...YES!! I, too, am so thankful that you have hooked freedom and forgiveness because I needed to know that. I forget the important things sometimes and do not want to. I forgive but I forget that I am forgiven and now I can see how I am free. Oh, my!
    Karrilee, I have been away since 10/1 but want to start from the beginning of your month as today's words for me are just right. I am sure that there will be other days that fit me to a tee as well. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God! I am so glad this ministered to you, my friend! Honestly - it was ministering to me as I wrote it! ;) There is a 'landing page' with each days post linked up... so you can 'catch up' anytime! I would be honored and would love to hear your thoughts on other posts that may stand out!

      Delete
  8. I really like what Melissa said. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karrilee, I loved this > "It is for freedom that we've been set free... and when we are free, we can live like we are forgiven... " We truly can so forget some days! So glad I stopped here for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need these reminders now and again, right? So happy to have you here, Joanne!

      Delete
  10. It's so sad for me, to know that some who've been given freedom chose not to live in it, for so many different reasons. Praying that I will cling to the hard-fought freedom I've been given. Thanks for your words, Karrilee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad... and often it is simply due to lack of knowledge... but yes, often it is a choice... a decision not to give up or give in, not grasping that something better is offered in return! And yet... it's consistently being held out to them, dripping in grace and full of love!

      Delete
  11. Karrilee, I really like this part, "I think we can know in our minds that we are forgiven, but our muscle memory tries to convince us that we are still sinners... still stuck and bound up and tied down to sin and failure." We can train ourselves, by forming new habits to rest in that freedom that forgiveness brings.

    your neighbor at Small Wonder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes... it's that muscle memory that can trick us into thinking it is real! Thanks so much for stopping by, neighbor!

      Delete
  12. I think sometimes our act of repenting to God (of the new sins, not rehashing the old ones) keeps our hearts fresh for giving others forgiveness. It is humbling that he doesn't require us to beat ourselves up over our misses and wrongs. There's so much liberation in what you say - forgiveness frees us- good thoughts, Karrilee! - it makes me want to go hide or break or burn up the figurative beat-me-up stick I try and pull out when I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - there really is so much benefit to that whole 'short account' approach to relating with God! I say you should definitely break AND burn that stick, my friend! We no longer need it... Jesus willingly took all the beatings for us! We are forgiven and free!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive