October 20, 2015

31 Days of Truths We Know... BeYOUtiful... Be Authentic! DAY TWENTY

Be Authentic... yes, this.  If only it was easy, right?

It's risky to be brave and vulnerable... to just lay down all the masks and stop all the pretending... to answer honestly, instead of reciting the overly used, "I'm fine. How are you?" response.

Here is the Truth that we know:

When we are our most Authentic self,
we are our most Beautiful self!

We are most like who He
designed and desires us to be!


Being authentic takes a bit of brave, yes --but here is what we forget:

It simply takes practice!
The more you risk it, the less risky it feels!

The taller you stand up in your own skin,
the more You you begin to walk in!


We are called to walk in the light as He is in the Light. If we fake it and pretend that we have it all together, the Bible tells us that we are liars and the truth is not in us. Harsh, right? 

Our saving face lacks grace. Our coming off like we have it all together all the time is helping no one. But there is so much freedom in bringing all the play acting to a halt and being real --with God, with yourself, and with others!

Before you know it, it doesn't feel brave or risky at all to just be you! It feels normal... it feels free... it feels a bit like His Kingdom come and heaven on earth because the You He created you to be is really quite amazing! 


You are something special and exquisite and breathtaking... and you are never more so than when you are being fully and honestly yourself.

We fall for the lie of comparison and the lure of perfectionism but when we are open and honest, no longer hiding behind truth or pretending to be something or someone we are not, --well, that is when we are truly seen and others begin to feel like maybe they could be truly seen, too! Our Authenticity makes us beautiful and free... and who doesn't want to be beautiful and free?

But here's the thing, y'all:



Someone in your circle
is going to have
to go first!

Authenticity is contagious in all the best ways,
but someone has to try on brave and risk being honest first
Someone has to be willing to pave the way!

Brené Brown says it this way:
“Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen.” 
She goes on to say,
“Vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage. Truth and courage aren't always comfortable, but they're never weakness... 
“Because true belonging only happens when we present our authentic, imperfect selves to the world, our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self-acceptance.
       -- from Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead

Self-acceptance: accepting ones true self.

Authentic: real or genuine; not copied or false; true and accurate; made to be or look just like an original.


We were made to live a life of Authenticity...
        ...It's just that sometimes we forget!








 Today is Day Twenty of 31 Days of Truths We Know...! If you missed the kick-off and official 'Home page' for this series, you can go HERE and catch up! You will find links for each days' postings, added daily throughout the month. If you'd prefer to have them delivered right to you, I invite you to enter your email address to the right ('Subscribe Here') and subscribe to the blog. That way, once a week, each post is delivered to your inbox in a single email over the weekend and you'll be sure not to miss a thing!

Click to Tweet:
When we're our most Authentic self, we're our most Beautiful self!
We're most like who He designed us to be! #Write31Days @KarrileeA

"Authenticity is contagious in all the best ways,
but someone has to try on brave and risk being honest first." #Write31Days @KarrileeA

P.S.  I'm linking up with these lovely writers:
Holly Barrett for #TestimonyTuesday


Kelly Balarie for #RaRaLinkUp

Tomorrow, we choose Joy!  I pray you will choose with us!

14 comments :

  1. I love this Karrilee, it's so true -- something I'm also loving about the blog world, so many women sharing their authentic selves -- and in the sanctuary of faith -- it's not only a relief, but a tremendous blessing! Without being authentic, we can never really experience the depth of loving our neighbors as ourselves, and miss God's blessings! For when we are weak, we are strong! Your post is filled with encouragement, as always, one of your many gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kathy! I always appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I'm reading Daring Greatly now - it's definitely a challenge to be authentic and put myself out there, but such a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that book so much! I highlighted the whole thing and then loaned it out and never got it back... which is fine... It just means I will have to buy it again (again!) ;)

      Delete
  3. I tried really hard to do this at ALLUME...the introvert in me wanted to sit in the hotel room but I managed to go authentic! I know I laughed a lot with certain folks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes... I was praying for you while you were there! I know that introvert pull to unwind in the room! So glad you pushed through, my friend!

      Delete
  4. This is definitely a lesson I'm slowly learning! I'm not very good at sharing (so you can imagine how hard this month of #write31days is for me!) But I am trying to be authentic. Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! It takes practice... and yes, this month my friend - you are getting in a lot of practice - and it is good!

      Delete
  5. I love this! It seems like there is so much competition and insecurity in Christian women's circles, it is definitely scary to be authentic. So thankful to have truly authentic people in my life to encourage me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! It definitely helps to find a tribe who are willing and able to be real! Thanks for hanging out with me, my friend!

      Delete
  6. Friend, all the yeses to this post. Love THIS: "You are something special and exquisite and breathtaking... and you are never more so than when you are being fully and honestly yourself." So glad I can be my authentic self with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! It's so freeing, right? I'm so glad too!

      Delete
  7. The more you risk it, the less risky it feels.
    I love those words. I had a moment this past Sunday, when someone asked how are you. I had a pause...do I say fine, when I'm not. Nothing huge, but in that moment feeling scattered.
    Glad for the pauses that allow me to say yes to more risk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that line too, Melanie - and I love that it is true! So glad for the pauses, too! Thanks so much for popping on over!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive