October 29, 2015

31 Days of Truths... The Power of Words (aka Speak Life!) DAY TWENTY NINE

I am sure you can guess, simply by looking at the tagline here, I am a firm believer and releaser of positive words! I believe we are all called to Speak Life, to Be Love, and to Shine On!  

We can know that we know that we know that:


The Power of Words
build up or tear down
and we get to choose
how we will use them!
We have the power
to use our words
for Good or for Evil...

...it's just that Sometimes We Forget!


We have all meant well, and lost our temper. (--Hello parenthood, right?) We have all had words spoken over us that tore us down, and have had words spoken over us that built us up.

The building up feels better, right?

We know it does! 

Building up encourages and uplifts... it stirs up hope and a dare to dream.

When I first heard the call to Speak Life, it was while I was in a crowd and the Lord gave me a glimpse of how He saw some of the people around me.  I knew almost immediately that none of them remembered that there was anything good in them... not to mention having anyone call it forth in them at any time recently. As I began to see the good in them, a love for them and a desire to see them rise up and live out who God created them to be, stirred within me.

I felt like the Lord was saying, 'You hear enough death all around you and coming from your own negative thoughts within you as well.  It's easy to point out what is wrong -with you and with everyone else, but I challenge you to call forth what is good, -what is right!'

When I first began to dive into the Bible as a new believer, this is the verse that stopped me cold and made me actually begin to pay attention to the words that I spoke:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it and indulge it will eat its fruit and bear the consequences of their words."   Prov 18:21 AMP

Right? Death and life are in the power of the tongue. So I decided early on to pay attention to what I said.  Once I started to guard what came out of my mouth, I realized I needed to take a step further and guard my heart and mind first! Guarding my heart and mind made watching my tongue so much easier, y'all!
"Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips." Psalm 141:3 NASB
"For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks."   Matt 12:34 NKJV
"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh,  for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" 2 Cor 10:3-5 NASB  
"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."  Eph 4:29 NKJV
"So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you." Romans 12:1-2 The Message
It takes practice... but I can testify that God can change your bent and help transform your mind.

As you begin to look for the gold in others, you will begin to see it!  You may be surprised at what you can see... and how much good and gold and grandness is hidden just beneath the surface all around you!

Here's the deal, you guys:  We all know the Golden rule... we all know how our Mama's used to tell us, "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothin' at all!"  There is so much wisdom there!  

We hold the power of LIFE and DEATH in our mouths... That is crazy, right?

I heard recently someone talking about the birth of John the Baptist and how God took away Zechariah's voice.  He said this: "A lot of miracles are messed up by talking!"

Ouch, right?  But I suspect he is right! Letting Zechariah just keep on talking and sowing some bad seed and letting the words flow off his tongue, dripping in fear, doubt, and unbelief... well - thankfully, the choice was graciously taken from him.

I don't know about you, but there are days that I've wished that would happen for me! But so far anyway, it never has.  He gives us the choice... and for one who loves words and tends to us a lot of them - I am reminded often to choose them wisely!  

Let us choose to Speak Life, knowing that we have been called to love like Jesus and to seek out the gold and to wield the power of the tongue for good, not evil!


Our words carry within them the power of life or death...

     ...It's just that sometimes we forget!

Oh Lord, help us remember!








 Today is Day Twenty Nine of 31 Days of Truths We Know...! If you missed the kick-off and official 'Home page' for this series, you can go HERE and catch up! You will find links for each days' postings, added daily throughout the month. If you'd prefer to have them delivered right to you, I invite you to enter your email address to the right ('Subscribe Here') and subscribe to the blog. That way, once a week, each post is delivered to your inbox in a single email over the weekend and you'll be sure not to miss a thing!


Oh, and don't forget to enter to win:
DaySpring.com is celebrating all of the amazing Write 31 Days readers (Psst... that's YOU!) who are supporting nearly 2,000 writers this October! To enter to win a $500 DaySpring shopping spree, just click on this link & follow the giveaway widget instructions. Good luck, and thanks for reading!

8 comments :

  1. I am SO excited I got to see this post today! You were one of the bloggers I silently followed way back when I first really started blogging. You write in such a way that makes me feel like we are on a porch, sipping iced-tea in the summer! You just get this warm encouragement just by coming here! I have been built-up by your words time and time again. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Bethany, you are so sweet! Thanks so much for your kind words and support! How wonderful would it (will it) be to sit side by side over iced tea and just rock on a porch and visit? I am praying for you and your book launch! SO so so exciting, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Words Words Words....if people (and me) would get hold of the power of spoken words. How much energy would it take to speak LIFE rather than DEATH words. Help us Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? They are so so powerful... and we KNOW this... it's just sometimes we forget! ;)

      Delete
  3. I was a kid who was relentlessly teased when I was a child. I know how strong the power of our words can be. "Sticks and bones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" Oh how wrong those words...WORDS DO HURT! I want to use my words for good; to be as sweet as clover honey and not bitter. This is one of the things I love about you friend. You love me for who God has created me to be. Oh and a little music for this post: "SpeakLife" by TobyMac! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! (And I love that song by TobyMac! In fact the Lord gave me my tagline and then a few months later that CD came out and I was all - Hey... TobyMac wrote me a theme song!) ;)

      Delete
  4. Karilee, your posts is chock full of Scripture about the tongue and I love it when writers back up what they say with the Word. And you are so very right, we have to be so careful - especially around those with whom we live (can I get an amen)! Thanks for reminding me to look for the gold in others, I will remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth... how we unleash the weapon of the tongue on the ones we love and live with most often? Ouch... Thanks so much for stopping by, Ruthie!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive