October 22, 2015

31 Days of Truths... In It, Not Of It... DAY TWENTY TWO

Ah yes... this is a Truth that so many of us forget, twist around... or push aside because, well... we like the world.

Today's Truth We Know is this:

We are called to be
IN the world, not of it.
But instead, many of us are
OF the world, but not in it.


Now before you get all upset with me, here is the prayer that Jesus prayed to the Father for us:

"Now I’m returning to you.
I’m saying these things in the world’s hearing
So my people can experience
My joy completed in them.
I gave them your word;
The godless world hated them because of it,
Because they didn’t join the world’s ways,
Just as I didn’t join the world’s ways.
I’m not asking that you take them out of the world
But that you guard them from the Evil One.
They are no more defined by the world
Than I am defined by the world.
Make them holy—consecrated—with the truth;
Your word is consecrating truth.
In the same way that you gave me a mission in the world,
I give them a mission in the world.
I’m consecrating myself for their sakes
So they’ll be truth-consecrated in their mission.
I’m praying not only for them
But also for those who will believe in me
Because of them and their witness about me.
The goal is for all of them to become one heart and mind—
Just as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
So they might be one heart and mind with us.
Then the world might believe that you, in fact, sent me.
The same glory you gave me, I gave them,
So they’ll be as unified and together as we are—
I in them and you in me.
Then they’ll be mature in this oneness,
And give the godless world evidence
That you’ve sent me and loved them
In the same way you’ve loved me."   John 17:13-23 The Message
I know, right?

So... we are called to be set apart, yes --but not in an actual divided, 'us' vs. 'them' kind of way! 

No.  

We are called to be IN it... to be out and about, spreading the Gospel (you know... sometimes using words!) and releasing the Kingdom of God in our every day lives... in the circles in which we gather and in the jobs where we work and the places that we shop.  We are to be set apart, to stand out a bit if you will, because we are not defined by the world or our culture!  Our value and definition comes from above.

Did you get that little thing about not being defined...? That is huge, y'all! That is at the core of some of our identity crises. We let the world try to define us. We like to be in the world... to blend in and (I know... buckle up for a hot minute!) watch the same shows and listen to the same music and wear the same clothes...  We like to look like we belong to the world, when in fact, we belong to another Kingdom!

It's not (necessarily) wrong to watch or listen or look... I am not your Holy Spirit!  What is fine for me, may not be an option for you... He knows our hearts and the plans He has for us! I am not talking about legalism or bossing people around. We lean in and listen to His heart for us... and no matter who is watching or wearing or listening to whatever... if He convicts our hearts, we say no to (fill in the blank!) in order to say yes to Him.

I went through a season where I was completely set apart... as in I had no clue what was going on in the world. Every activity I did was inside of a church building or surrounded with only church people.  A season like that may be good... even fruitful... but we cannot forget that those are to be short seasons, otherwise the chasm gets deeper and wider!


We can't forget that the prayer that Jesus prayed was RADICAL... it was not to save us from the world and all it's evils... it was to protect us from the Evil One... All while still being IN the World, just not OF it!
    ...It's just that sometimes we forget!








 Today is Day Twenty Two of 31 Days of Truths We Know...! If you missed the kick-off and official 'Home page' for this series, you can go HERE and catch up! You will find links for each days' postings, added daily throughout the month. If you'd prefer to have them delivered right to you, I invite you to enter your email address to the right ('Subscribe Here') and subscribe to the blog. That way, once a week, each post is delivered to your inbox in a single email over the weekend and you'll be sure not to miss a thing!

Click to Tweet:
"We are called to be IN the world, not of it. But instead, many of us are
OF the world, but not in it" @KarrileeA #Write31Days #TruthsWeKnow

We are to be set apart, to stand out a bit if you will, because we are not defined by the world or our culture!  Our value comes from above.


Tomorrow is another Five Minute Friday prompt... so we shall see how well the One Word Prompt fits in to this series! I hope you check back and see what Truth God wants us to remember!

12 comments :

  1. Yes, yes, yes!! I love this reminder friend. It is so easy to forget this truth. Your words remind me of Micah 6:8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And of course, I LOVE Micah 6:8!

      Delete
  2. John 17 is the most amazing and my favorite chapter in the New Testament. I call it "The REAL Lord's Prayer!" ***Keep them from the evil one and sanctify them with Your Truth.***

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! How can one NOT fall in love with John Chapter 17? #Swoon

      Delete
  3. Amen! This has been particularly difficult for me because I've worked in the 'fishbowl' most of my life. I have to make a sincere effort to get to know people in the community (I'm usually not very good at that, being an introvert by nature). Thank you for the kick in the pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the key, Anita! We all gravitate to like-minded people and pretty soon, our circles all look the same and often times they are all brothers and sister and that is great - but we are called to do that AND go out and be in the world too! It does take doing it on purpose! xoxo

      Delete
  4. RADICAL - YES!! Love it. Love the Message version too. I used to be that person stuck inside the four walls of the church - until I realized there was a world out there needing my light too. Balance - and it doesn't look the same for any two people, you are so right! Thanks for reminding me of this and Christ's promise to protect me from the evil one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! You and I? We are kindred, Ruthie!

      Delete
  5. A big YES to being in the world not of the world. We should all ask ourselves, are we all in? We need to the do the work that God is calling us to and that requires us to be present in the world. Good words, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Thanks so much for stopping by, Mary!

      Delete
  6. "Radical" is the perfect world for Jesus's prayer right there. Thanks for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! That Jesus of ours... He always raises the bar on Radical living! ;)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive