October 28, 2015

31 Days of Truth... Oh the Power of Worship - DAY TWENTY EIGHT

I know I keep saying this, but this Truth... well, this is my jam!  I have a heart to worship and I feel the closest to and hear the clearest from God in the midst of Worshipping.


The Power of Worship
can break every chain
and release freedom...
It makes a way for
Love to come down,
and it unites our heart to His.

...it's just that Sometimes We Forget!


We forget that Worship is a gift for us, but it is to be given back to Him!  It is, as Tommy Tenney once said, the only part of our services that God gets anything out of! He doesn't learn anything from our sermons, no matter how well-crafted or amazing they may be... but when we pour out our worship, we give Him access to our hearts yet again, and oh how He loves to draw near!

Yesterday, when talking about the power of praying for others, I wrote this:
"I love to pray and, for me, more often than not I find a gift of faith rising up as my words pour out.  I have seen countless answers to prayer and continue to step out on shaky knees with a yielded heart in asking for those big bold things.  
We have seen cancer healed, backs put back into place, sicknesses and diseases flee. We have prayed for new lungs and new legs and a new awareness of His Presence and great Love --and oh my goodness, you guys, how we have seen Him answer!  
Not all of our prayers... there is no magic formula or specific words to say. We cannot twist His arm, but we have His heart!"
Oh how we have His heart! He has given it to us freely and His heart is ever angled toward us... ever beating for us... and it's when we lean in to His chest and rest our weary heads and allow the rhythm of our heart to sync up and keep company with His own... that is when intimacy and love deepen and worship bubbles up.

I remember being a fairly new Christian and stumbling upon this verse:
"But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."  ~ John 4:23-24 NKJV  
That began a life-long pursuit to learning how to worship in spirit and in truth. If the time is now, as the scripture says, well-- I want God to find me when He seeks for me! I am a true worshipper, and I worship in spirit and truth!

Worship is not simply a set of songs sung before the sermon. Worship is not only set aside for Sunday mornings, and maybe Sunday and Wednesday nights... 

No. 

Worship should come up out of who you are because of who He is. Worship draws us closer, knits us tighter, and releases us further, and we do it because when we come into His presence... well, we can't not!

Worship is an All In attitude and a heart surrendered to His goodness. It may look different for you than it does for me! Maybe your worship is loud and filled with stage lights and smoke machines... maybe it is without instruments, simply voices lifted high singing hymns from the days of old... maybe your worship is a sacrifice of praise when you are not feeling it, but you choose it anyway, because you know!  You know the power of worship and how no matter our preferred style or volume, when we choose to worship on the good days as well as the hard ones, we wield worship as a weapon because the enemy of our souls cannot stand in the Presence of our God.

Webster's defines it this way:
WORSHIP verb: to honor or respect (someone or something) as a god: to show respect and love for God or for a god especially by praying, having religious services, etc.: to love or honor (someone or something) very much or too much
transitive verb: 1:  to honor or reverence as a divine being or supernatural power   2:  to regard with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion 

Extravagant... Devoted... Giving and Bringing Honor to God. 
Yes, Lord! Let that be said of me!

So, no matter our gifting, our purpose in life, our career or social status, our passions or hobbies... our one call... the greatest command that we are to run after, is to 'love the Lord our God with all our heart, all our soul, our mind, and strength.'

If that is not worship, well-- I don't know what is!

I love how it reads in the psalms... the call to worship:
"Worship the Lord with reverence And rejoice with trembling." Ps 2:11 NASB 
"God-friendship is for God-worshipers; They are the ones he confides in." Ps 25:14 The Message 
"Ascribe to the Lord the glory due His name; Worship the Lord in the beauty and majesty of His holiness..." Ps 29:2 AMP  
"All the earth will worship You, And will sing praises to You; They will sing praises to Your name. Selah." Ps 66:4 NASB  
"One day spent in your house, this beautiful place of worship, beats thousands spent on Greek island beaches. I’d rather scrub floors in the house of my God than be honored as a guest in the palace of sin. All sunshine and sovereign is God, generous in gifts and glory. He doesn’t scrimp with his traveling companions. It’s smooth sailing all the way with God-of-the-Angel-Armies." Ps 84:10-12 The Message
Well I don't know about you - but a Greek island beach sounds pretty nice... however if I can't spend my time there in His Presence, then I don't want to go!

Worship Him in spirit and in truth, my friends. When you pour out your love on Him, He lavishes His right back over and into and through you. 


Our Worship captures His heart once again...
We pour it out, and He fills us up!

Yet so often when we need Him most --worship can be the furthest thing on our minds!  It would do us well to remember that there is power that draws His Presence closer and that causes the enemy to flee! Whether we feel all the feels or not, we can CHOOSE to Worship...

     ...it's just that sometimes we forget!




 Today is Day Twenty Eight of 31 Days of Truths We Know...! If you missed the kick-off and official 'Home page' for this series, you can go HERE and catch up! You will find links for each days' postings, added daily throughout the month. If you'd prefer to have them delivered right to you, I invite you to enter your email address to the right ('Subscribe Here') and subscribe to the blog. That way, once a week, each post is delivered to your inbox in a single email over the weekend and you'll be sure not to miss a thing!

P.S.  I'm linking up with these lovely writers:
JENNIFER DUKES LEE FOR #TELLHISSTORY


















HOLLEY GERTH FOR #COFFEEFORYOURHEART

Tomorrow we'll talk about another one of my favorite topics - the Power of our Words!

14 comments :

  1. Our lives should be worship to Him - every single moment of our day. Everything we do, say, think, etc. O Lord help me love You more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet friend... you are my people! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Loved your post about worship;. That's how I spend most of my day with Pandora blasting in the background. I feel like it is the most important thing I do all day. Thanks for reminding me how much my Abba enjoys it. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you just so grateful for Pandora? I love it! Soaking is one of my favorite things and as much as I love it... yes, Abba loves it more!

      Delete
  3. Worship is different for everyone! And THIS reminder: "Worship is an All In attitude and a heart surrendered to His goodness." I need to remember that especially since I work at s church. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be tricky, right? Seeing all the behind the scenes and the whole 'business side' of church... but worship is easy and it just flows right out of us when we are All In and surrendered!

      Delete
  4. I've enver thought about the fact that God 'gets' something back when we worship him. What a beautiful concept--it's my gift to God. Maybe this is why a true worship service of song brings tears to my eyes--tears of happiness and awe that I am right where I need to be doing exactly what I need to be doing in that moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! We were made to worship Him!

      Delete
  5. Someone once said worship was worth-ship - ascribing to God His worth. I love that we can do that, as you said, not just in songs at church (though that's one great way) but in everything we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too, Barbara! Me, too!

      Delete
  6. Beautifully written! I love to worship too! I love to worship on Sundays with our church, but I also love to worship Him by myself in my car singing love songs to Him! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Robyn! I love to worship too... and I am blessed to have a hubby who is an amazing guitarist and worshiper - so I have the radio, pandora, cd's, AND the option of live worship at any given moment! ;)

      Delete
  7. I feel so inspired to PRAY RIGHT NOW. Thanks for this post and most esp for - Not all of our prayers... there is no magic formula or specific words to say. We cannot twist His arm, but we have His heart!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best Comment of the day! If I can inspire anyone to want to 'PRAY RIGHT NOW' then that is a win! ;) And oh how I am so glad that we have His heart!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive