It's already December, ya'll! Can you even believe it? I haven't played along since Summer, but here we are:
As Advent begins and the pull and temptation may be to lean in to the rush of the season... I am encouraging you to slow... to find a little silence... to reflect back -to last month, sure... even last year... but as Advent shows us, there is value in reflecting back - all the way back. In doing that, we see more clearly how Christ has come, yes. But we also see how He's been coming for us all the while! (And He is coming still...)
But for today... here it is:
What We Learned in November...
12 Random Things That I Have Learned.
1. I learned that I have this irrational fear of slipping... It's getting better, but ever since I slipped and fell (badly spraining my wrist, resulting in no writing or typing for months) - I am less willing to try new things because, whether it's really a danger or not, I'm afraid I may slip, lose my footing, and get injured. Now, this is not really working for me because lately I've been writing about taking risks and living more adventurously! We are surrounded in our area with great hikes - big ones and little ones, and I am forcing myself to overcome this fear and just do it! This weekend, we went on a new hike where we ran into some pretty muddy (ahem... slidey, slippery) trails. Luckily, we were so far into the hike, the option to turn back didn't really exist! And you know what? I did it... only slipping a little and never completely falling!
And the reward was worth the risk! (Which turned out not to be so risky after all!)
2. I learned that I have fallen for the lie that I can either be 'healthy and active' spiritually, or physically - but not both at the same time! I have regained a few pounds after working so hard to lose them a few years ago and it hit me that I have battled balancing pressing in to health one way or the other, but not mastered doing them both at the same time! It seems I am either All In physically, making healthy choices and staying disciplined in working out... or I am All In spiritually, making healthy choices and staying disciplined in working out. My goal this month, and next year, is to find a healthy balance of doing both!
3. I learned that I actually follow through on daily devotions much better when (1) I have accountability and (2) it is done in smaller chunks of reading and/or Scripture! I so enjoyed going through Pin God First, aka #MoreSoulLessScroll on Instagram, with Jennifer Dukes Lee for the month of November! It was fun, and doable, and I heard God so clearly as I would slow and really dig in to those verses... so many of them familiar. I love when He shows up through the Word and teaches us something deeper.
4. In an unrelated note, I learned that John Crist is hysterical! Thank you, Jon Acuff...
5. I learned that my Honey, bless his heart, still hasn't mastered the skill of buying me a new CD. Honestly, you guys... it shouldn't be that hard! I love a lot of music... I really do! I love Christian worship and some Christian Contemporary music, I am a Country music fan, and I enjoy Pop... I have come to love Jazz and R&B and even a little disco and rap. See? Not too hard? I'm not picky! In his defense, there are a lot of artists that I like, but I don't buy their CDs or download entire albums. He's old school, and downloading a song or two is not an option for him. He likes to hold the CD case in his hands, and read the lyrics... so he thought he was nailing it when he bought me the new Ed Sheeran CD... I mean, who doesn't like Ed Sheeran right? Well - the whole thing is sort of sad depressed drinking theme... so that doesn't really scream 'happy car music'... this, on the other hand...
Yeah, I bought this one myself... I can't help it... I love me some Swifty!
6. I (re)learned that I will never, ever, ever tire of watching Gilmore Girls! (Thank you, Netflix Streaming!) I have also learned that I get just a tad bit jealous when someone is just discovering this series because - Gah! - to fall in love for the first time is Freaking Awesome! (This also applies to Friday Night Lights and West Wing, of course.)
7. I learned that I still really love paper crafting... I tend to ebb and flow with the creativity - or at least with the being productive with the creativity! For years, it was my job to make cards and scrapbooks and all things papercrafty, but after so long I got burned out on it all. In November, I learned that I still enjoy the rhythm of designing and crafting a card by hand, just as much as painting a picture or taking a photograph! I am so thankful that there are so many different ways to be creative!
8. I learned that sometimes, we just really want to be our kids' Saviors! I mean - hello? - we wouldn't come out and just SAY that, but ...we want to be the one to meet their needs and come to the rescue and heal them up and be their shelter. This, in itself, is not a bad thing. But there comes a time when they must see that we are not the answer that they are looking for. Hard truth right there, but better learned for the smaller things so that if/when the bigger things come, they know where to run and you can all run there together!
9. I learned that I am not a fan of my girlie being sick, not that this is new... but what I really learned is that as much as I don't like it, I no longer go to the worse case scenario in my mind as soon as I hear that she is not feeling well so I guess I learned that in this whole new world of Empty Nester living, I am getting better at trusting Him with her. (I also learned that it's harder to trust, and to take care of them, when they are sick and living away from home...)
10. I learned that I miss taking photographs with actual people in them! I do a lot of landscape photography and I love it... but if I go too long without a model or client session, it starts to be like an itch that I can't quite reach. Luckily - my girlie is always up for an impromptu session, and God is good to bring me a client or two right about then, as well!
11. I learned that I cry when Parenthood says I won't get to hang out with the Bravermans until JANUARY? What??? I can't even repeat what may or may not have escaped my mouth when it was time for the previews but instead they said something CRAZY like we'll see you in January!? What the what? SO NOT FAIR! (And don't even get me started on how this is the final season! Gah!)
12. I learned that when you see someone on a TV show that you KNOW you
Also unrelated, as compiling this random list, I learned that maybe I watch too much TV in the Fall? Maybe!
I am Linking up with EMILY FREEMAN