November 27, 2013

In Which We Just Can't Out Give God...



So, I didn't really want to write much this week...

With Thanksgiving and then the fast approaching unfolding of All Things Christmas, I just thought maybe it would be good to quiet myself a bit and breathe in and out and just let a little silence settle in before the rush.

You know, practicing His Presence and all that.



















It sounds great in theory and maybe this is just me - but what happens when I decide not to write is I end up 'writing' several half posts in my head.  In an attempt to stop that, I distract myself with Pinterest and party planning and the making the lists (of All the Things) and the cleaning (of only Some of the Things!)... so here I am - writing.

What I really wanted in my attempt at silence was to hear His Voice again.  

Oh He speaks... He is always speaking, and I have learned that when I lean in, when I slow down and breathe deep and hush my thoughts and simply wait... I am reminded that He is with me always and that He has plenty to say! 

So - because I was so distracted, I decided to sit down, journal and Bible in hand, and pray for you. (Yes, you!)

I asked the Lord to bless you richly... to show up in and through you as you gather with friends and family this weekend, and then I asked for a non-traditional Thanksgiving Scripture. After all, giving thanks is found through out the Word and we are often so very familiar with those verses.  I prayed, and found myself reading Psalm 84.  (It's one of my favorites!)

I read through the whole thing and then again, slower... savoring the words as they became both Bread and Wine, giving nourishment and refreshment.  My own Thanksgiving Feast spread out before me!


"For the LORD God is a sun and a shield; the LORD will give grace and glory; No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly."                      (Ps 84:11NASB)

It's vs 11 that is standing out to me and I realize as I am thinking of all things for which I am thankful for, many of them are simply that: 'things'.  And yet in verse 11, it says that God will give grace and glory. While I praise Him and give Him thanks... He is handing out Grace and Glory!

(Selah! Pause and think on that for a moment, ya'll!)

In the Amplified Bible, it reads, "the LORD bestows (present) grace and favor and (future) glory (honor, splendor, and heavenly bliss)."

Uh... yes, please!

We just can never ever out give God.

While we give thanks this week, this season, ...through out all of our days, He is giving grace and glory... love and mercy... peace and joy!

That verse goes on to say:
"No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly."
No good thing... that is some promise!

...and that brings us back to 'things' but I get the sneaking suspicion revelation that my 'things' and His 'things' are very, very different!

I am finding, the older I get, that I am wanting to trade more of my things for His!  

What about you? Have you ever tried to outgive God? What are you thanking Him for today?




Linking up with #TellHisStory

...speaking of trying to out give God... well - we know that can't be done, but we are attempting to partner WITH Him next week!  Stay tuned for more info on Phase 5 of the InMercy Project, where we hope to raise funds to purchase a house in Kenya for our sweet sisters!


4 comments :

  1. Hi Karrilee! I'm your neighbor this week at Tell His Story! I have to confess I've struggled with this scripture in the past. Believing the "good thing" was a baby, I was angry for God withholding it from me. One year I just got it...since I had given my life to Him whatever happened in my life was the best possible outcome. He wasn't holding things from me to hurt me. I had to learn to trust His timing. My post this week tells how big He answered my prayer for children, how he speaks to me daily and continues to give the good. Thank you for your prayers...may all you pour out be poured back in - In Abundance. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful my friend! I love the thought of God giving me grace and glory. No good thing does He withhold to those that love Him and are called according to His purposes. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karrilee
    Oh, I know of those half finished posts in one's head. This verse reminds me of how we receive the best God has to offer; none other than Himself. It still amazes me how Jesus comes to live in us through the Sweet Holy Spirit. Can anything be more wonderful than that. It humbles me to think that He loves me so much. Enjoy your Thanksgiving.
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:55 AM

    Lovely post, Karrilee! It is hard to be still before Him sometimes but what a blessing when we do! Thanks for the prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I always love to hear your thoughts! Remember to: Speak Life - Be Love - Shine On!
~Karrilee~

Blog Archive